Indiana to reintroduce work-search requirement for unemployment benefits

Hoosiers applying for unemployment benefits will again be required to provide proof of actively searching for work beginning June 1, per a May 11 executive order from Gov. Eric Holcomb.

According to the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, work-search activities include applying for a job, attending a job fair, participating in a WorkOne orientation or completing an online workshop.

The federal government authorized states to waive work-search requirements early in the COVID-19 pandemic, and also provided additional financial assistance through the Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC) program, which provides a $300 weekly add-on to recipients of unemployment insurance.

Holcomb announced May 17 Indiana will soon end its participation in FPUC and all other federally funded pandemic unemployment insurance programs beginning June 19. He said Indiana has more than 100,000 jobs that need to be filled.

“There are help wanted signs posted all over Indiana, and while our economy took a hit last year, it is roaring like an Indy 500 race car engine now," Holcomb said in a press release. "I am hearing from multiple sector employers that they want and need to hire more Hoosiers to grow. We have a myriad of work options in every region of our state with many more coming online every week.”

Ending participation in federal pandemic unemployment benefits and providing free opportunities for Indiana workers to learn new skills, Holcomb said, will allow "all Hoosiers can get on their pathway to personal prosperity.”