Peach Tree Rascals’ ‘Camp Nowhere’ is just peachy

By Conner Tighe The Peach Tree Rascals released their first EP/album, Camp Nowhere which combines all the fun the band has had and morphed it into an alternative-Indie blast of a joyride. After an initial run-through, I found nothing entirely exquisite but, all the same, a good time. Those familiar with the Indie genre will recognize the slight inspirational sound from Foster the People, Poolside, Surfaces, and MGMT. The Peach Tree Rascals have never been one for deep, thoughtful essence in their art, but want to have fun doing what they love. Camp Nowhere continues the band’s adventures of combining the band’s cultural and musical backgrounds into a diverse mix of music OGs will come to love. Jorge Olazaba (creative director), Tarrek Abdel-Khaliq (singer/rapper), Isaac Pech (singer/rapper), Joseph Barros (singer/rapper), and Dominic “Dom” Pizano (producer/mixer) met in high school. The five began producing small-time projects demonstrating what each member was capable of until they released their single, “Mariposa”, in 2019, which launched them to fame. The song talked about personal growth and accepting who you’re meant to be and used the Spanish word “mariposa” for “butterfly” to project that symbolization of change. The band has released 18 singles going back to their first single, “Glide”, in 2018.

A diverse sound

The band has diverse backgrounds in music, including Mexican, Filipino, and Palestinian. With their presentation of hip-hop, rap, and Latin-inspired sound, the album provides that mix of sound that most bands can’t offer. The Peach Tree Rascals are an example of taking unique backgrounds and forming them together in the name of not love, but music. Track one, “OOZ”, exemplifies hip-hop while track four, “Change My Mind,” has pop inspiration, and track seven, “Pockets”, sounds like a track from a John Mayer album. Those familiar with the pop, folk, and Indie genres will see through this transparent case of past musicians getting their due where it’s deserved.
Pocket full of sunshine/Flowers help me find my way/Before the sunrise
Nothing is too serious or deep in this album, and it appears like the band wants to keep it that way, most likely to appeal to their younger audience. The Peach Tree Rascals are a fun, lighthearted group of guys who – you would assume – would describe themselves as “chill”. With inspirations from Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, The Beatles, and John Mayer, my respect for the five is that much stronger. Camp Nowhere pays its respects to the greats who came before them.

Stacking against the rest

Like many other artists in today’s age, the Peach Tree Rascals speak to the youth culture and this sense of coming of age appeal. It seems like the band is still on their own journey of self-discovery, and the lyrics expressed in Camp Nowhere speaks to a universal sense of confusion and what it means to be young. Drugs and musicians seem to coexist as you look more and more into the creative processes and personal stories. Tracks like “OOZ”, “JoJo”, and “LEAVE ME” speak about drugs as both a coping mechanism and piece of youth, while tracks like “papá” talk about growing up in a changing world.
See, I don't know and I never did/I'm on a road that'll never end/All my control flying with the wind

Top tracks:

OOZ Pockets Change My Mind

Recommended if you like:

MGMT Foster the People Poolside
Sources: Daily Bruin, Ones to Watch, Elicit Magazine, Spotify, BMI Featured Image: Genius