Indiana expands COVID-19 vaccine eligibility

<p>The Indiana State Department of Health opened COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to teachers and staff in K-12 schools March 15, 2021. Eligible people can schedule vaccine appointments online or by calling 211 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. <strong>Unsplash, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

The Indiana State Department of Health opened COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to teachers and staff in K-12 schools March 15, 2021. Eligible people can schedule vaccine appointments online or by calling 211 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. Unsplash, Photo Courtesy

The Indiana State Department of Health added two groups of people to the list of those eligible to be vaccinated for COVID-19 this week — K-12 school staff and people ages 45+.

The state opened eligibility to teachers and staff in K-12 schools March 15, 2021. This includes teachers and staff in pre-K through high school, childcare centers, Head Start and Early Start programs, along with licensed childcare providers, including center-based and family care providers. Classroom aides, bus drivers, janitors, counselors, administration staff, cafeteria workers and substitute teachers also are eligible.

On March 16, the Department of Health expanded vaccine eligibility to Hoosiers ages 45+. This comes nearly two weeks after eligibility was opened to ages 50+.

Eligible Hoosiers can schedule a vaccine appointment for their free COVID-19 vaccine by visiting OurShot.in.gov or by calling 211 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. 

Hoosiers with specific conditions that put them at a higher risk of severe illness from contracting COVID-19 are also eligible to be vaccinated once their healthcare provider submits their information to the Indiana Department of Health.

Vaccines are available at more than 400 clinics across the state, including at Walmart, Meijer and Kroger. Walmart uses the state’s registration system, but Meijer and Kroger each have their own systems. Meijer will ask questions about vaccine eligibility and require a zip code to find nearby pharmacies that offer vaccinations. Kroger will ask for a zip code to find nearby pharmacies and will specify which stores offer COVID-19 vaccines.