New precautions for Walk a Mile in my Shoes

MUNCIE, Ind.(NewsLink) -- This week marks Muncie Mission's 17th annual Walk A Mile in My Shoes. The annual event is all about raising awareness of the community’s homeless and hungry, as well as raising funds to support Muncie Missions services.

The event was originally hosted at the Muncie Fieldhouse. However, Vice President of Development Bob Scott said the walk looks a little different this year due to COVID-19. 

“We couldn't have the giant gathering we’ve always had this year, so we expanded to a Walk a Mile in my shoes week,” said Scott. 

The COVID-19 precautions gave supporters the chance to walk wherever they desire.

The Muncie Mission has created suggested routes specific for each day of the week. The routes feature downtown partnership routes, including the Muncie Recreational Center, YWCA, and Open-Door Health Services. 

Many of the suggested routes, as well the time of year in which this annual event occurs, is all intentional.

“We keep it in February very deliberately to keep emphasis on who we are serving and why we are serving them,” said Scott. 

Walk week began today and will continue through Feb. 13. Application forms and donation efforts are available via the Muncie Mission's website.

For any comments or concerns, contact the author at licederdahl@bsu.edu.