MITS opens up a new route

MUNCIE, Ind.(NewsLink) -- With Delaware County’s new Justice and Rehabilitation center slated to open to the public Wednesday, some Muncie residents are wondering how exactly they’ll commute to this facility. In partnership with Muncie Indiana Transit System, the city created route 17.

"Back when the city and county decided that they needed to move because the downtown facility wasn’t large enough, they approached us early on and asked if we would be able to provide transportation out there,” said MITS Assistant General Manager Amanda Price.

The route runs Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. to 8:55 P.M. and runs outbound to the justice center via Hoyt Avenue, only taking about 10 minutes. The route then runs from the justice center back to the MITS station using the same route.

"Route 12 is very similar to route 17, the justice center, but route 12 has a difficult time staying on time so we put route 17 into play," said Price.

Route 17 went into effect on Feb. 1 and is currently in a trial phase to determine ridership. After this trial phase, MITS will determine whether to make the route permanent or not. For more information on this and other routes, you can visit here.

For any comments or concerns, contact the author at aalmanza@bsu.edu.