Five Upcoming 2021 Movies You Don’t Want to Miss

The opinions and views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of Byte or Byte’s editorial board.

2021 is ramping up to be a big year for films. Most people are aware of the bigger films like Fast 9, Matrix 4, and Black Widow. However, there are many smaller films coming out that have the potential to be better than the blockbusters. Some of them were pushed over from last year, adding to the stuffed year. While there are many, many films slated to come out this year, here are five films that are looking to be hits. 

Cherry

The first film, directed by the Russo Brothers after doing Avengers: Endgame, Cherry stars Tom Holland as an Army medic turned opioid addict. Holland recently proved that he can be an Oscar-caliber actor in The Devil All The Time, showing that he has the ability to pull off this type of role. The Russo Brothers are also a force of nature behind the camera, showing that they can handle action sequences well. The fact that they also chose this film to be their follow-up to Avengers: Endgame, the highest-grossing film of all time, is intriguing. Making the biggest box office film of all time, they had the potential to probably make whatever film they wanted, which interests me as to what drew them to this project. 

The Green Knight

The Green Knight was originally scheduled to release in May 2020, but it’s finally being released in July of this year. With incredible talent including Dev Patel, Alicia Vikander, and Joel Edgerton, and talent like David Lowery behind the camera, it gives the film confidence in its quality. Along with this, the trailer sets it up to be a much different and darker take on the King Arthur story than we’re familiar with. It also feels as if we are getting a breath of fresh air within the crowded fantasy genre. By being produced by A24, it also gives confidence that the film will turn out to be a hit. 

Nobody 

From the creators of the John Wick franchise comes a new action hero. Starring Bob Odenkirk as the action hero, the trailer promises white knuckle action sequences, in the same vein as the action handled in John Wick. Although Odenkirk isn’t known as an action star, he looks great in the film and has proven in his previous works like Breaking Bad to be a fantastic actor. The director, Ilya Naishuller, hasn’t directed anything notable besides Hardcore Henry. That film, while not particularly good, was an interesting experiment as it was literally seen from the main character’s eyes, similar to a first-person video game. Jumping from that film to this one seems like an interesting move for the director, but one that piques interest. As an action movie junkie, the John Wick films are some of my favorite films in recent years, it’s exciting to see what the creators will do next. 

Last Night in Soho

Edgar Wright’s last film, Baby Driver, was an incredible divergence after doing comedies including Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Wright returns to direct another turn in his career with the psychological horror film, Last Night in Soho. Since the film has been kept under wraps, not much is known about the premise beside it dealing with some sort of time travel. Wright has proven himself to be a fantastic director with his own unique voice and style. From how he shoots and edits scenes, to his clever and witty style of dialogue, it’s always invigorating when a new project is released by him. Knowing he can go beyond his comedic roots to explore different genres makes this film all the more compelling as we don’t know what an Edger Wright horror film will be like, but I have faith that he’ll deliver a fun, thrill ride.

Image from IndieWire

Willy’s Wonderland

Nicholas Cage has been making some interesting career choices in the past decade or so. From great films like Color Out of Space and Mandy to last year’s disastrous Jiu-Jitsu, he’s starring in a low budget horror film that seems like a knock-off of Five Nights at Freddy’s. The behind-the-scenes photos and recent trailer have teased that Willy’s Wonderland could be a ridiculously fun, thrilling movie. With the movie being set in a Chuck E Cheese-style of a restaurant, the designs of the animatronics and look of the film give it a unique flavor. It seems to have a dark, gritty look, but also a tone that shows the filmmakers aren’t taking it too seriously. With hopefully another great over-the-top performance from Cage, this movie has the potential to quickly turn into a cult hit.

Sources: Box Office MojoSlashfilm

Images: IndieWire,YouTube

Featured Image: Cineworld

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Byte BSU!