Ball State play-by-play commentator reflects on how COVID-19 changed his career

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) -- When Ball State's season came to a close, it left Director of Broadcasting and Cardinal play-by-play commentator Joel Godett out of his normal job.

"There's a weird mix of disbelief and inevitability, I think, because, you didn't know what was happening, but also kind of saw it coming," said Godett.

It was a day that the Ball State commentator won't soon forget. It was an eerie night, one which was looming with uncertainty for Godett and Ball State sports.

"At that point in time, I didn't know what was going through my mind," Godett said, while reflecting on what was a night that changed his career.

Since the season cancelled back in March, Joel Godett has been working remotely. But now, he wants nothing more than to come back to his home away from home, inside these doors of John E. Worthen Arena. 

"The women for Ball State Basketball played their first round MAC tournament game in Cleveland, on, I think that Wednesday night, it was. And we went to dinner after the game," said Godett.

After they sat down to eat, they realized that it could be their last meal as a team...and possibly their last game of their season, and some of their careers.

"We all kind of looked at each other and said, we're not gonna play tomorrow, are we?" Godett said telling a story about when the NBA first cancelled, and realizing Ball State may be next.

Godett's job turned into his livelihood-- and was gone in the blink of an eye.

"This is what I do, and it's how I identify, and you don't have that right now...it's this weird sense of trying to figure out where you are and what you're supposed to be doing," said Godett.

Every day that goes by is another day closer to next season. Getting ready for it, will be a different approach for teams and commentators.

"When we're ready to go, somebody will tell me, and at that point in time I'll put my running shoes on, and I'll stretch, and I'll walk to the starting line, and I'll wait for the gun to go off."

When sports come back, they will be back all at once, which means, Godett will be back on the air calling both fall and spring sports--all in the same season.

For any comments or concerns, contact the author at bedollier@bsu.edu