Ball State releases guidebook for event management, community engagement

<p>Locals play a game of pick-up ultimate Frisbee in the quad at Ball State University Aug, 23, 2019. Quad Bash is a community event for students and locals to hang out and make friends after the first week of classes at Ball State. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN</strong></p>

Locals play a game of pick-up ultimate Frisbee in the quad at Ball State University Aug, 23, 2019. Quad Bash is a community event for students and locals to hang out and make friends after the first week of classes at Ball State. Eric Pritchett, DN

Ball State released its event management and community engagement guidebook this week to provide guidelines for planning on- and off-campus events and off-campus, in-person engagement during the pandemic.

Event Approval:

The guidebook states events will need to be approved and prioritized by the concerned university vice president or director for hosting a division or organization.

The criteria for approving these events include whether it is directly connected to Ball State’s core mission or its current strategic plan priorities, required by the university or an external entity, unable to be replicated virtually, can be accommodated with an appropriate amount of available resources, can ensure compliance with health and safety guidelines and sufficiently planned using COVID-19 event management considerations with the appropriate departments.

All event organizers will be required to complete the event proposal form, detailing information about the event, the guidebook states. These forms will be given for approval to the university vice president or director responsible for hosting the division or organization.

The vice president or director will then make a decision considering the following tiers of mission centrality and the overall nature of the activity or event:

• Tier 1 (Primary): These activities are aligned most closely with the core academic mission — teaching and learning, research and course-based community engagement.

Examples: student teaching, immersive and other experiential learning activities, clinical experiences, studio courses, living-learning Communities and faculty and student research activities.
  • Tier 2 (Secondary): These activities and events directly align with the mission of student engagement and development.

Examples: co-curricular and other student activities and events, non-academic public lectures, recreation activities, student organization-hosted activities and events and student community service.
  • Tier 3 (Tertiary): These activities align with the mission to engage and support the external communities the university serves.

Examples: arts and entertainment events, volunteer board meetings and events, donor events, celebratory and holiday events, receptions, recognition events and official university ceremonies and events.
  • Tier 4 (Ancillary): These activities are tangential to the core mission.

Examples: external use of the university’s indoor and outdoor spaces and off-campus student events.

Once the event is approved, the guidebook states it may proceed to the booking stage. Approved event proposal forms will be returned to the organizer. This, however, does not guarantee the event will occur as the venue scheduler might not be able to accommodate the requirements or have the space available.

Each facility and venue will develop its own protocols and procedures to comply with Ball State’s COVID-19 return to campus plan, campus visitor plan and general sanitation guidelines.

General safety guidelines:

The guidebook states Ball State community members are asked to:

• Wear face masks when in the presence of others and physical distancing is not practicable.
  • Maintain at least a distance of 6 feet from other people at all times.
  • Avoid crowded places and mass gatherings.
  • Wash hands frequently and often.
  • Have activities that minimize touching of items when possible.
  • Regularly sanitize environments and have hand sanitizer available.
  • Post signage related to hygiene requirements in multiple locations.