Muncie mayor speaks about Floyd's death, protests

<p>In this Sept. 26, 2019 file photo, then Muncie Mayoral Candidate Dan Ridenour answers audience questions during a mayoral debate at the Muncie Central High School auditorium. Ridenour spoke out June 1, 2020, about the death of George Floyd and the protests surrounding it in his daily community video update. <strong>Jacob Musselman, DN</strong></p>

In this Sept. 26, 2019 file photo, then Muncie Mayoral Candidate Dan Ridenour answers audience questions during a mayoral debate at the Muncie Central High School auditorium. Ridenour spoke out June 1, 2020, about the death of George Floyd and the protests surrounding it in his daily community video update. Jacob Musselman, DN

In his daily community update video, Muncie Mayor Dan Ridenour spoke about the death of George Floyd and the nationwide protests surrounding it.

"I greatly appreciate the peaceful yet influential protests that occurred twice over the weekend here in Muncie compared to some other cities," Ridenour said. "I'm just really proud ... of Muncie citizens who came out and they were positive, they were proactive, they stated their cases and they were heard."

RELATED:  Protest held in downtown Muncie following George Floyd's death

He said he along with Muncie Police Department (MPD) Chief Nathan Sloan, and other city and state officials joined the second protest which took place Sunday outside Muncie's City Hall.

"I just want to let you know that you were heard and that we join you in this," Ridenour said. "Racism has no place in the city of Muncie. None. Not now and not ever."

He said he along with other community leaders, concerned clergy and Ball State leaders will be meeting at 1 p.m. to "figure out how we can end this prejudice," and what the City of Muncie and other organizations can do together to "help make this a better and more prosperous city for all people."

Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns also tweeted he would be having a meeting on Monday with local leaders and law enforcement officials, "to develop a collaborative campus and community response."

Ridenour said he and his office have made changes in MPD, like restructuring training, increased focus on de-escalation, getting out into the community, spreading public awareness and being aware about people's thoughts.

"I think we've made some progress there and I'm very proud of what we've tried to do in those areas," he said. "Muncie residents are strong people and we will bind together and we'll stick together and we'll get through this."