5 national stories of the week

<p>The casket of George Floyd is placed in the chapel during a funeral service for Floyd at the Fountain of Praise church, June 9, 2020, in Houston. <strong>(AP Photo/David J. Phillip, Pool)</strong></p>

The casket of George Floyd is placed in the chapel during a funeral service for Floyd at the Fountain of Praise church, June 9, 2020, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, Pool)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The funeral of George Floyd, reforms following his death, proposals by Democrats in Congress to overhaul policing, the lay-offs of millions of workers during the COVID-19 pandemic and Tropical Storm Cristobal make up this week’s five national stories.

Members of the Texas Southern University police department pause during a funeral service for George Floyd at The Fountain of Praise church, June 9, 2020, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip, Pool)

George Floyd, whose death energized a movement, to be buried

Hundreds of mourners packed a Houston church Tuesday for the funeral of George Floyd, capping six days of mourning for the black man whose death has led to a global reckoning over police brutality and racial injustice. Floyd, 46, was to be laid to rest next to his mother in the suburb of Pearland. Cellphone video of his encounter with a white Minneapolis police officer ignited protests and scattered violence in cities across the U.S. and around the world.

Read More: George Floyd

Protesters march June 6, 2020, in New York. Since Floyd’s killing, police departments have banned chokeholds, Confederate monuments have fallen and officers have been arrested and charged. (AP Photo/Ragan Clark, File)

Protesters heartened by swift reform, but vow broader change

In the two weeks since George Floyd’s killing, police departments have banned chokeholds, Confederate monuments have fallen and officers have been arrested and charged amid protests against police violence and racism. The moves fall short of the overhaul of police, prosecutors’ offices, courts and other institutions, but some advocates and demonstrators are encouraged by the swiftness of the response to Floyd’s death — incremental as it may be.

Read More: Race and ethnicity

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of Calif., with Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and other Congressional Democrats, speaks during a news conference to unveil policing reform and equal justice legislation on Capitol Hill, June 8, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

A look at Democrats’ sweeping proposals to overhaul policing

Congressional Democrats are proposing an overhaul of police procedures and accountability after the mass protests over the deaths of black Americans at the hand of law enforcement. The Justice in Policing Act is among the most ambitious law enforcement reforms from Congress in years and confronts several aspects of policing that have come under strong criticism, as more police violence is captured on cellphone video and shared across the nation and the world.

Read more: Police

A man looks at signs of a closed store due to COVID-19, May 21, 2020, in Niles, Ill. U.S. layoffs surged in April revealing the deep economic hole that comes with shuttered offices, restaurants, stores and schools. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh, File)

US employers laid-off 7.7 million workers in April

U.S. employers laid-off 7.7 million workers in April — a deep economic hole that was created by the closure of thousands of offices, restaurants, stores and schools during the pandemic. The Labor Department also said in a Tuesday report that job openings plummeted and hiring all but disappeared in April. The grim April, which followed an even bleaker March, suggests the economy could take time to recover nearly a decade’s worth of gains that vanished in 60 days.

Read More: Economy

A wave crashes as a man stands on a jetty near Orleans Harbor in Lake Pontchartrain in New Orleans, Sunday, June 7, 2020, as Tropical Storm Cristobal approaches the Louisiana Coast. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Cristobal to merge with new storm system after lashing South

Tropical Storm Cristobal could soon renew its strength by uniting with another storm system coming from the west to form one giant cyclone, forecasters say. After drenching much of the South, forecasters now expect the remnants of Cristobal to bring fierce winds, heavy rain and thunderstorms to much of the Midwest by Tuesday. A very strong storm system sweeping out from the Rocky Mountains is expected to meld with Cristobal in the next couple of days.

Read more: Storms