One Ball State Day 2020 raises more than $511K

<p>Students who gather in the David Letterman Media and Communications building this afternoon were given free mugs for writing thank you notes to donors as part of One Ball Sate Day April 9, 2019. The inaugural event involved on-campus events, online donations and contests to unlock funds for various causes at Ball State. <strong>John Lynch, DN</strong></p>

Students who gather in the David Letterman Media and Communications building this afternoon were given free mugs for writing thank you notes to donors as part of One Ball Sate Day April 9, 2019. The inaugural event involved on-campus events, online donations and contests to unlock funds for various causes at Ball State. John Lynch, DN

Editor's note: The Ball State Daily News is taking part in the One Ball State Day fundraiser.

With more than $511,000 raised from more than 5,300 donor gifts as of midnight Tuesday, the second edition of One Ball State Day surpassed 2019 numbers.

Last year, the inaugural version of the 24-hour online fundraising event raised more than $424,000 through more than 4,100 donor gifts.

Unlike 2019, this year's fundraising event did not feature in-person events due to Ball State moving to online classes and canceling all on-campus events for the school year due the COVID-19 pandemic. However, students, faculty, staff, alumni and families from all 50 states donated to various Ball State departments, funds and student organizations.

In 2020, Ball State also emphasized contributing to support students with extraordinary financial need by encouraging people to donate to the Jack Beyerl Student Emergency Aid and the Take Flight Fund.

RELATED: One Ball State Day to emphasize critical needs of students

The emergency aid fund provides financial assistance to students who experience accidents, illnesses, financial hardships or other personal emergencies that negatively affect their ability to remain enrolled, a Ball State press release states.

The Take Flight Fund supports students whose ability to enroll in classes or graduate on time may be at risk due to demonstrated financial need, it states.

As of midnight Tuesday, the Student Emergency Aid Fund raised more than $81,000 and the Take Flight Fund raised more than $65,000.

This story will be updated.