Editor's Note: This story is part of The Partnership Project, a series of content written in an effort by The Daily News to follow the formal collaboration of Ball State University and Muncie Community Schools. Read more in this series here.
All schools in Indiana, including Muncie Community Schools (MCS), will remain closed until May 1, following the announcement by Gov. Eric Holcomb Thursday.
During that time period MCS will continue offering breakfast and lunch meals to its students at various locations, according to the MCS website.
Stephanie Fegan, resident district manager of Chartwells, the food service provider for MCS, said in an email it will be preparing a total of 40,000 meals — 4,000 bags, each with breakfast and lunch meals for five days.
Starting March 16, including during spring break, MCS will be offering meals at four sites on a daily basis, including the week of spring break. Beginning March 23, families may choose to pick-up a 10 meal packet — with five breakfast and five lunch meals at the following times:
- Breakfast: 7:30-8:30 a.m.
- Lunch: 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
While students may ask for multiple meals at these four locations, Fegan said students are requested to come back after the number of days they received meals for.
For example, she said if students are given two days of food, as a courtesy, they're asked to come back two days later.
Families will not need to get out of their cars. A drive-thru will be set up for easy access at the following locations:
- Central High School, 801 N. Walnut St., Door 17
- Northside Middle School, 2400 W. Bethel Ave., Front entrance
- Southside Middle School, 1601 E. 26th St., Front entrance
- Longfellow Elementary School, 1900 E. Centennial Ave., Front entrance
Additionally, beginning March 23, MCS buses will deliver meal packets, with 10 meals per packet, at 11 a.m. each Monday at 22 locations:
- Riggin Road Mobile Home Park, Forest and Burr Oak
- Morningside, Puerta Vallarta parking lot
- Meadowview Farms — Corner of Weathervane and Brookway
- Aultshir, Corner of Manring and Cromer
- Mayfield, TRC Head Start
- Burlington Mobile Home Park, office lot
- Middletown Gardens, Inspire Academy
- Earthstone Terrace
- Southern Pines, church parking lot
- New Beginnings Daycare, parking lot
- Heekin Park, playground
- Parking lot at Willard and Grant
- East Washington Academy
- Downtown, parking lot at Adams and Franklin
- Former animal shelter and 17th and Gharkey
- 812 Neighborhood, parking lot at 8th and Sampson
- Drum Addition, church parking lot
- Holiday Park at Howell Street and Brookfield Road
- West View
- Carriage House Apartments, at the circle
- North View
- Chateau Apartments