Ball State extends deadlines, availability of credit/no credit option for students

<p>Provost Susana Rivera-Mills speaks at the summer commencement ceremony July 20, 2019, at Worthen Arena. In an email addressed to Ball State's faculty, Rivera-Mills explained the majority of in-person classes will be moved to an online platform. <strong>Rohith Rao, DN</strong></p>

Provost Susana Rivera-Mills speaks at the summer commencement ceremony July 20, 2019, at Worthen Arena. In an email addressed to Ball State's faculty, Rivera-Mills explained the majority of in-person classes will be moved to an online platform. Rohith Rao, DN

In a campus-wide email Monday, Susana Rivera-Mills, provost and executive vice president for student affairs, said Ball State will provide grading alternatives for the spring 2020 semester by extending the deadlines and availability of the credit/no credit option.

"This is a very complicated issue, and I assure you that we are considering all options and their implications," Rivera-Mills said.

Whether or not a student should take a course for credit/no credit, she said depends on many factors — academic standing, financial aid, and certain licensure requirements.

"Our top priority is that all students make the right decision for their long-term academic and professional success," Rivera-Mills said. "Therefore, we will provide enhanced advising and financial aid counseling for students who wish to explore taking one or more of their current courses credit/no credit."

In seven-to-10 days, she said the university will email the campus community with additional information about the credit/no credit option and post it on the university's COVID-19 website and the Office of the Registrar's website.

This story will be updated.