Burris, Indiana Academy move to online instruction

<p>Burris Laboratory School will be moving to online instruction starting March 16, 2020. This decision was made in accordance with university guidelines outlined in the campus-wide message sent out by Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN File</strong></p>

Burris Laboratory School will be moving to online instruction starting March 16, 2020. This decision was made in accordance with university guidelines outlined in the campus-wide message sent out by Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns. Eric Pritchett, DN File

According to letters addressed to parents of students attending Burris Laboratory School and Indiana Academy, the schools will deliver all instruction online starting March 16 until further notice.

This decision, the letter states, is in accordance with university guidelines outlined Wednesday in a campus-wide message sent out by Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns.

As of Thursday, the letters state there hasn't been a single identified and confirmed case of COVID-19 on Ball State's campus, Burris, the Indiana Academy or the Muncie community.

Burris Laboratory Schools:

Professional development sessions were held with Burris teachers Wednesday about teaching effectively in an online environment, the letter for parents of Burris students states.

"Teachers will have the ability to videotape their instruction and upload it to Canvas and conduct live classes using Canvas' conference feature," it states. "For our younger learners who may not use Canvas well, we have committed teachers who will provide access to quality instruction using both iPads and packets of work."

It states the school's faculty and staff will continue standards-based instruction and work with parents to make sure students' educational requirements are met.

Indiana Academy:

Similar to Ball State's plans, Indiana Academy's residence hall will also remain open. At this time, the academy is not requiring students to go home, the letter for parents of the academy's students states. 

While parents or guardians can come and get their children if they wish to do so, the letter states there is no option for reimbursement.

Students are expected to complete course expectations whether or not they remain in campus housing during this time, the letter states.