Women's Swimming and Diving heads to MAC Championships

MUNCIE, Ind.(NewsLink) - In less than a week, the Women’s Swimming and Diving team will be traveling to Buffalo, New York to compete in the MAC Championships. The Cardinals finished the season with a record of 5-6 and a conference record of 1-3.

Head Coach J. Agnew is confident that the swimmers will do well in the high pressure environment. 

“We’ve been focusing on this all year. Swimming is a unique sport... Kind of that opportunity to deal with pressure all season long and now we get to use that to move forward,” Agnew said.

Many newcomers like freshman Sydney Dygert are excited about the opportunity to race in such a high stakes contest. 

“I’m really excited about the relays, since everyone is so high up there,” she said. “I want our team to place in the top five.”

With 10 freshman on the team, this will be the first major collegiate contest the women will compete in. 

Agnew believes that they are no longer new to the collegiate world of sports and that they will step up to the plate when they have to compete next week. 

“They have been so much fun to work with and I don’t expect any less of them on our team,” he said. “They’re not rookies anymore… It’s time to show up and race to the championship.”

For any comments or concerns on this story, contact the author at imbutts@bsu.edu.