‘Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore’ can’t keep tempo with tougher competition

by Tanner Kinney It’s often tough judging Wii U games, particularly ones released toward the latter end of the console’s life. These titles, despite relative critical acclaim, were ultimately left in the dust. Titles like Xenoblade Chronicles X are genuinely wonderful and make great use of the Wii U’s gimmicks, particularly its bulky-but-comfy Gamepad, but being on the Wii U is both a blessing and a curse. A good Wii U game is a rare breed, considering how few great games were released for the console. So, there’s always the chance that a mediocre title on this system looks better because options are so limited. As a big fan of RPGs (Role-playing games), the Wii U was lacking in some of the better RPGs that released during its lifetime. But it did have Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, a game released by Atlus in the final year of the Wii U. I remember fondly finishing the game twice; it was a wonderful time and one of my favorite Wii U games. In the Nintendo Switch rerelease, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, the game has hardly changed, which in itself isn’t such a bad thing. In a market full of incredible JRPGs, though, this isn’t a game I’m going to have on replay.

The same old “save the world” song and dance

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
Image from Gamestop
Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Fire Emblem Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Persona 4

Sleek, stylish, popping presentation

Persona 5 too
Image from Gamestop

Gameplay that has been relegated to an opening act

Tokyo Mirage Sessions Shin Megami Tensei Fire Emblem Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Persona Fire Emblem Persona
Image from Gamestop
Shin Megami Tensei Persona Fire Emblem Shin Megami Tensei Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Shin Megami Tensei

TMS: Map of the Mediocre

Image from Gamestop
Persona 5 Persona bad
Gamestop Gamestop