5 national stories of the week

<p>Erik Dominguez holds his 11-month-old daughter Isabella while watching the live stream of a public memorial for Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna, Feb. 24, 2020, outside the Staples Center in Los Angeles. <strong>(AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)</strong></p>

Erik Dominguez holds his 11-month-old daughter Isabella while watching the live stream of a public memorial for Kobe Bryant and his daughter, Gianna, Feb. 24, 2020, outside the Staples Center in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Kobe Bryant’s memorial service, Harvey Weinstein’s conviction, the South Carolina Democratic presidential debate, sex-abuse allegations against a former University of Michigan doctor and actor Jussie Smollett’s not-guilty pleas make up this week’s five national stories.

Vanessa Bryant speaks during a celebration of life for her husband Kobe Bryant and daughter Gianna Feb. 24, 2020, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Public memorial service remembers the private Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant’s athletic achievements were only part of the reason roughly 20,000 people gathered Monday for a public memorial service honoring him at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The event offered another chance to celebrate Bryant, his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, and the other seven victims of the crash with tears, memories and laughs. Speakers at the event included Michael Jordan, his agent and friend, Rob Pelinka, his wife, Vanessa Bryant, and others.

Read More: Kobe Bryant

In this Jan. 6, 2020, file photo, actor Rose McGowan, right, speaks at a news conference as actor Rosanna Arquette, center left, listens outside a Manhattan courthouse after the arrival of Harvey Weinstein in New York. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

‘The sky is blue again’: Weinstein’s accusers express relief

In what was unquestionably a landmark moment for the #MeToo movement, Harvey Weinstein was convicted of raping an aspiring actress in 2013 and sexually assaulting another woman in 2006 but was found not guilty of predatory sexual assault, a charge that could have resulted in a life sentence. For most of Weinstein’s accusers, the most powerful image — captured in courtroom sketches — was of the once all-powerful producer being led away in handcuffs.

Read more: Harvey Weinstein

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., speaks during First in the South Dinner, Feb. 24, 2020, in Charleston, S.C. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

5 questions before the Democrats’ South Carolina debate

Seven Democratic presidential hopefuls will face off Tuesday night in South Carolina for the 10th Democratic debate. Some questions ahead of the debate include whether Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders can handle attacks from the other candidates, whether former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg will remain a target of other candidates and whether former Vice President Joe Biden, the favorite to win South Carolina, can secure a victory in the state.

Read More: Election 2020

In this Jan. 20, 2020 photo, Robert Stone looks over his medical records in his home in Palm Springs, Calif. The former University of Michigan student, alleges that university's late Athletic Department physician Robert E. Anderson sexually assaulted him during a medical examination in 1971. (Kim Kozlowski/Detroit News via AP)

Victims turn to media to expose sex abuse by college doctors

Afraid complaints of sexual abuse at the hands of a former University of Michigan doctor would be covered up, Robert Stone turned to the The Detroit News, which last week was the first to report Stone’s allegations against the late Dr. Robert E. Anderson, triggering similar reports. It was reminiscent of sex-abuse scandals at other universities where the media reported allegations before officials publicly acknowledged complaints against doctors. 

Read more: University of Michigan doctor

Actor Jussie Smollett appears in a courtroom Feb. 24, 2020, in Chicago where he plead not guilty to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself and falsely reporting it to police. (Brian Cassella/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)

Actor Jussie Smollett pleads not guilty to restored charges

Former “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Monday to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself last year in Chicago and falsely reporting to police the phony attack was real. His lawyer, Tina Glandian, entered the not guilty pleas on his behalf to six counts of felony disorderly conduct. She also told Judge James B. Linn she has asked the Illinois Supreme Court to halt the case.

Read More: Jussie Smollett