Cardinal Kitchen provides food to students in need

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) — For six years, Cardinal Kitchen has provided resources for Ball State students in need. Some of the items they offer are non-perishable foods and toiletry products.

The Assistant Director of Student Life Kara Westfall said Cardinal Kitchen is a registered food pantry with Second Harvest Food Bank, but it is run by Ball State students.

“Cardinal Kitchen is an on-campus food pantry completely for students run by students,” said Westfall.

Cardinal Kitchen received their funding through Ball State University. To receive the funds, the pantry filled out the Student Organizational Fund. Westfall said they are asking for funds just like any other campus organization.

“We follow the same regulations as any other student organization at requesting funds,” Westfall said. “The way we request our dollars is we request specific amounts of money for fresh food items and specific amounts of money for non-perishable food items.”

Some of the fresh produce items the pantry has to offer are bananas, oranges and potatoes. Since the pantry does not have refrigeration, these products are purchased by the organization and brought to the pantry on the specific day they are open.

Westfall said Cardinal Kitchen has seen an increase in the number of students who come, but that does not mean everyone knows about them and what they have to offer.

“Our numbers have continued to increase over the years, and I think that has to do with awareness,” Westfall said. “I think there are still students out there that don’t know we exist, and there are faculty and staff that don’t know we exist, so they don’t know to refer students to us.”

Cardinal Kitchen is open on the 2, 3 and 4 Tuesday of every month. They also do emergency opens.

“A lot of times with the emergency opens, we tend to have faculty or staff reach out to us and say they’ve identified a student who is in need of food,” Westfall said. “Even if it’s the Monday before we open, if that student needs food we will open the pantry for them.”

Westfall wants students to know they are always welcome to come. All they need to do is bring their student ID.

For any comments or concerns about this story, contact the author at msthomas2@bsu.edu.