'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' proves that the Force is adequate with this one

by Anthony Herring Disclaimer: This review contains minor spoilers for 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' On May 25, 1977, the world—or should I say, the galaxy—was introduced to a groundbreaking sci-fi film called Star Wars. Chronicling the epic adventure of a young farm boy, Luke Skywalker, the film opened to critical and commercial acclaim, with critics and audiences alike falling in love with the galaxy far, far away. Such a massive success spawned two beloved sequels, 1980’s The Empire Strikes Back and 1983’s Return of the Jedi. This trilogy of films was eventually labeled as the “original trilogy” upon creator George Lucas’ announcement that he was going to start creating a prequel trilogy in the late 1990s. This trilogy consists of 1999’s The Phantom Menace, 2002’s Attack of the Clones, and 2005’s Revenge of the Sith. Unlike the adoration that fans give the original trilogy, the prequels weren’t as positively received---although in the years since, many have come around on them. The sequel trilogy succeeded the prequels, starting with 2015’s The Force Awakens and continuing with 2017’s The Last Jedi. Overall, many fans are mixed on this trilogy, with many loving it for feeling like classic Star Wars, and with many others hating it for its missed opportunities, weird creative decisions, etc. Despite that, the trilogy has been quite successful, bringing the franchise to new heights. With those heights comes this year’s The Rise of Skywalker, which was advertised as being the final chapter of not only this trilogy but the nine-film “Skywalker Saga” as a whole. Now, when the film works, it truly excels, but when it doesn’t work, it really, really does not.   

War! (huh, yeah…)

Image from IMDb
The Rise of Skywalker Return of the Jedi— The Last Jedi The Rise of Skywalker

The Force is Strong Here—thank goodness

Image from IMDb
The Rise of Skywalker The Force Awakens

Let the Past Die? Yeah...no

Image from IMDb
The Rise of Skywalker A New Hope The Rise of Skywalker
IMDb IMDb