Ball State announces new dean of Teachers College

<p><strong>Ball State University, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Ball State University, Photo Provided

Anand Marri will join Ball State leadership team as the new dean of Teachers College, Provost and Executive Vice President Susana Rivera-Mills announced in a university press release.

Marri recently served as dean and professor on research leave of the Warner Graduate School of Education and Human Development at the University of Rochester in New York, the release states.

He will be replacing Roy Weaver, who had served as associate dean, dean and interim dean of Teachers College for more than 20 years. 

Starting his career as a high school social studies teacher, Marri served in California’s Santa Clara and San Jose school districts. In 2003, after earning his doctorate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, he joined Teachers College at Columbia University.

At Columbia, his research focused on economic literacy, multicultural and urban education, and teacher education, and he founded the economic literary initiative. While on the university’s faculty, the release states he served as the highest-ranking officer for education in the Federal Reserve System from 2013-18.

Marri said he admires the quality of Ball State’s postsecondary education and the university’s service to its neighbors.

“Ball State serves the needs of all students, particularly first-generation college students, who might not otherwise have access to postsecondary education,” he said. “In doing so, Ball State also improves lives in both the local community and the state of Indiana.”

Marri added that he is excited to work with the university’s community partners — Muncie Community Schools in particular.

“Anand chose a career that aligns with his profound commitment to educational equity and the common good,” Rivera-Mills said. “He brings great energy and passion to Ball State and is focused on people and building relationships.”

She added that Marri shares Ball State’s values and embraces Teachers College’s commitment to students, community engagement and inclusive excellence.

“I am confident he will develop an inclusive and collaborative vision for the college,” Rivera-Mills said.

Marri will begin his new position at Ball State effective July 1.