5 national stories of the week

<p>Actor Rose McGowan, right, speaks at a news conference as actor Rosanna Arquette, center left, listens outside a Manhattan courthouse after the arrival of Harvey Weinstein, Jan. 6, 2020, in New York. Weinstein and several women who have accused him of sexual misconduct converged at the New York City courthouse ahead of his trial on charges of rape and sexual assault. <strong>(AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)</strong></p>

Actor Rose McGowan, right, speaks at a news conference as actor Rosanna Arquette, center left, listens outside a Manhattan courthouse after the arrival of Harvey Weinstein, Jan. 6, 2020, in New York. Weinstein and several women who have accused him of sexual misconduct converged at the New York City courthouse ahead of his trial on charges of rape and sexual assault. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Border detentions of people of Iranian descent, Harvey Weinstein’s sexual assault trials, the earthquake in Puerto Rico, a sexual abuse lawsuit against the Boy Scouts of America and SpaceX’s latest launch make up this week’s five national stories.

Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., looks on as Negah Hekmati speaks about her hours-long delay returning to the U.S. from Canada with her family days earlier, at a news conference Jan. 6, 2020, in Seattle. Civil rights groups and lawmakers were demanding information from federal officials following reports that dozens of Iranian-Americans were held up and questioned at the border. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Groups demand answers after Iranians say they were detained

Civil rights groups and lawmakers demanded information from federal officials Monday following reports that dozens of Iranian-Americans were held up and questioned at the border as they returned to the U.S. from Canada over the weekend. The Washington state chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said more than 60 Iranians and Iranian-Americans were detained and questioned for hours at the Peace Arch Border Crossing in Blaine, Washington.

Read More: Iran

Harvey Weinstein, third from left, leaves court in New York, Monday, Jan. 6, 2020. The disgraced movie mogul faces allegations of rape and sexual assault. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Weinstein jury selection to start in NY; new charges in LA

Potential jurors in Harvey Weinstein’s New York sexual assault trial are expected to fill a courtroom Tuesday, as the former movie titan’s legal problems deepen with new charges in Los Angeles. In New York, jury selection is set to start Tuesday and could take weeks as prosecutors, Weinstein’s lawyers and the judge find people to serve on a lengthy trial in a high-profile case that has fueled societal pressure for accountability for sexual misconduct.

Read more: Harvey Weinstein

A collapsed building with car crushed underneath, following an earthquake in Yauco, Puerto Rico, Jan. 7, 2020. A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, the largest in a series of quakes in recent days, and caused heavy damage in some areas. (J. Miguel Santiago Twitter via AP)

6.4 quake strikes Puerto Rico amid heavy seismic activity

A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico before dawn Tuesday, and was followed three hours later by an aftershock measuring 6.0. They are the largest in a series of quakes that have struck the U.S. territory in recent days and caused heavy damage in some areas. Puerto Rico’s power authority said on Twitter one of the country’s main power plants near the epicenter had been damaged, but officials expect to restore power to the island later Tuesday.

Read More: Puerto Rico

In this July 2013 file photo, a youth looks over the Norman Rockwell exhibition in Salt Lake City, featuring his Boy Scout-themed paintings. A team of lawyers filed a lawsuit Jan. 6, 2020, in federal court in Washington, D.C., to sue the Boy Scouts of America for allegedly failing to protect them from long-ago sexual abuse. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)

Unique sex-abuse suit filed against Boy Scouts in US capital

A team of lawyers filed a lawsuit Monday in federal court in Washington, D.C. seeking to establish the nation’s capital as a venue for men across the U.S. to sue the Boy Scouts of America for allegedly failing to protect them from sexual abuse at the hands of scoutmasters and other leaders. The eight plaintiffs in the lawsuit live in states where statute of limitations would prevent them from suing the BSA on claims of sex abuse that occurred decades ago.

Read more: Sexual abuse

In a time exposure, the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches from Cape Canaveral, as seen from Viera, Fla., late Monday, Jan. 6, 2020. In the foreground is the traffic roundabout, which is lit up for the holiday season. (Tim Shortt/Florida Today via AP)

SpaceX launches 60 more satellites, trying to tone them down

SpaceX launched 60 mini internet satellites Monday, this time testing a dark coating to appease stargazers. It’s a “first step” compromise between SpaceX and astronomers fearful of having dark skies spoiled by bright satellites circling overhead. The Falcon 9 rocket blasted into the night sky, recycled by SpaceX for its fourth flight. As the first-stage booster flew to a vertical landing on an ocean platform, the Starlink satellites joined 120 similar spacecraft launched in 2019.

Read More: Science