5 international stories of the week

<p>Protesters chant anti-U.S. slogans during a demonstration against the killing of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani, close to United States' consulate in Istanbul, Jan. 5, 2020. Iran has vowed "harsh retaliation" for the U.S. airstrike near Baghdad's airport that killed Soleimani, as tensions soar in the wake of the targeted killing. <strong>(AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)</strong></p>

Protesters chant anti-U.S. slogans during a demonstration against the killing of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani, close to United States' consulate in Istanbul, Jan. 5, 2020. Iran has vowed "harsh retaliation" for the U.S. airstrike near Baghdad's airport that killed Soleimani, as tensions soar in the wake of the targeted killing. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The mourning of the slain Iranian Revolutionary Guard general, Iraq’s attempt to expel U.S. troops from the country, the Kenyan military base attack, wildfires in Australia and the fleeing of Nissan’s former chairman from Japan make up this week’s five international stories.

In this photo released by the official website of the Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, fourth from left, leads a prayer Jan. 6, 2020, at the Tehran University campus, in Tehran, Iran, over the coffins of Gen. Qassem Soleimani and his comrades, who were killed in Iraq in a U.S. drone strike. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP)

Weeping, Iran supreme leader prays over general slain by US

Weeping amid a crowd of hundreds of thousands of mourners, Iran’s supreme leader Monday prayed over the remains of a top Iranian general killed in a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad, an attack that’s drastically raised tensions between Tehran and Washington. The targeted killing of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Gen. Qassem Soleimani has seen his replacement vow to take revenge and Tehran abandoning the remaining limits of its 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.

Read more: Iran

Supporters of the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, or the MEK, an Iranian exile group, hold signs and flags during a show of support for a U.S. airstrike in Iraq that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, in Lafayette Park across from the White House, Jan. 5, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Trump warns of sanctions if Iraq tries to expel US troops

President Donald Trump insists that Iranian cultural sites are fair game for the U.S. military, dismissing concerns within his own administration that doing so could constitute a war crime under international law. He also warned Iraq that he would levy punishing sanctions if it expelled American troops in retaliation for a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad that killed a top Iranian official. In response to the killing, Iraq’s parliament voted Sunday to oust U.S. troops based in the country.

Read more: Iraq

In this photo taken Feb. 24, 2018 and released by the U.S. Air Force, Tech. Sgt. Starr Day, assistant inspector general assigned to the Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa (CJTF-HOA) Inspector General (IG) directorate, talks with service members during a battlefield circulation site visit at Camp Simba, Manda Bay, Kenya. (Staff Sgt. Timothy Moore/U.S. Air Force via AP)

Extremists attack Kenya military base, 3 Americans killed

Al-Shabab extremists overran a key military base used by U.S. counterterror forces in Kenya before dawn Sunday, killing three American Department of Defense personnel and destroying several U.S. aircraft and vehicles before they were repelled. The attack on the Manda Bay Airfield was the al-Qaida-linked group’s first attack against U.S. forces in the East African country. Five attackers were killed, Kenyan military spokesman Paul Njuguna said.

Read more: Kenya

In this Sunday, Jan. 5, 2020, photo provided by Australian Department of Defence, a Royal Australian Navy MRH-90 helicopter crew member looks out over fires burning near Cann River. The wildfires have so far scorched an area twice the size of the U.S. state of Maryland. (Private Michael Currie/ADF via AP)

Australia commits billions of dollars to wildfire recovery

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the government was committing an extra $1.4 billion to help communities recover from deadly wildfires that have ravaged the country in addition to the tens of millions of dollars that have already been promised. Nationwide, at least 24 people have been killed and 2,000 homes destroyed by the blazes, which have so far scorched an area twice the size of the U.S. state of Maryland.

Read more: Wildfires

A private security guard stands outside the house of ex-Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn, Jan. 5, 2020, in Beirut, Lebanon. Ghosn earlier this week jumped bail in Japan and fled to Lebanon rather than face trial on financial misconduct charges in a dramatic escape that has confounded and embarrassed authorities. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Japan vows to improve border checks, bail after Ghosn flight

Japan’s justice minister vowed Monday to strengthen border departure checks and review bail conditions after Nissan’s former chairman, Carlos Ghosn, fled the country despite the stringent surveillance imposed as a condition of his release. Ghosn, who was chairman of Nissan-Renault-Mitsubishi at the time of his arrest, skipped bail while awaiting trial on various financial misconduct allegations and later said from Lebanon he did it to escape injustice.

Read more: Carlos Ghosn