Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from around the world. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

The Trump administration's defense of killing a top Iranian general, updates on the wildfires in Australia, Queen Elizabeth II's summit on Prince Harry and Meghan's future, a volcano eruption in Philippines and an accidental nuclear alert in Canada make up this week’s five international stories.

In this image from video, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper talks to the press on Iran and Iraq, Jan. 7, 2020, at the Pentagon in Washington. (divids via AP)

US points to dissent in Iran in wake of deadly drone strike

Defense Secretary Mark Esper and other administration officials joined President Donald Trump in trying to draw attention to dissent in Iran instead of lingering questions about the scale of the threat used to justify a drone strike on Iran’s top military leader. Esper added to the uncertainty over the intelligence behind last week’s killing of Gen. Qassem Soleimani when he said he had seen no hard evidence four American embassies had been under possible threat.

Read more: Iran


This satellite photo provided by Maxar Technologies shows wildfires spreading in the area south of Eden and Twofold Bay, shown in black, in New South Wales state of Australia, Jan. 12, 2020. (Satellite image ©2020 Maxar Technologies via AP)

Australia turns from defense to offense in wildfire battle

Crews battling Australia’s wildfires said Sunday they have been able to turn from defense to offense for the first time in weeks thanks to a break in the weather. Workers helping manage the fire in New South Wales states said cooler temperatures and mild winds have finally offered them a chance to make progress. The weather is expected to remain benign for the next week, although any deterioration in conditions after that could see the wildfires flare up again.

Read more: Wildfires


The figures of Britain's Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are moved from their original positions next to Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip and Prince William and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, at Madame Tussauds in London, Jan. 9, 2020. The figures of Harry and Meghan were moved from its Royal Family set to elsewhere in the attraction. (Victoria Jones/PA via AP)

Queen to hold crisis summit on Harry and Meghan’s future 

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II is set to hold talks Monday with Prince Harry for the first time since he and his wife, Meghan, unveiled their plan to walk away from royal roles — a dramatic family summit meant to chart a future course for the couple. The summit reflects the queen’s desire to contain the fallout from Harry and Meghan’s decision to “step back” as senior royals, work to become financially independent and split their time between Britain and North America.

Read more: Royal rift


A family rides their motorcycle through clouds of ash as they evacuate to safer grounds after the eruption of Taal volcano in Tagaytay, Cavite province, Jan. 13, 2020. Red-hot lava is gushing from the volcano after a sudden eruption of ash and steam that forced residents to flee and shut down Manila’s airport, offices and schools. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Lava gushes from Philippine volcano as ash spreads to Manila

Red-hot lava gushed out of a volcano near the Philippine capital Monday, as thousands of people fled the area through heavy ash. Experts warned the eruption could get worse, and plans were being made to evacuate hundreds of thousands. Clouds of ash blew more than 100 kilometers (62 miles) north of the Taal volcano, reaching Manila, the bustling capital, and forcing the shutdown of the country’s main airport with more than 500 flights canceled so far.

Read more: Philippines


An emergency alert issued by the Canadian province of Ontario reporting an unspecified “incident” at a nuclear plant is shown on a smartphone Jan. 12, 2020. Ontario Power Generation later sent a message saying the alert “was sent in error." (AP Photo/Robert Gillies)

Canadian officials accidentally push nuke alert to millions

People throughout the Canadian province of Ontario awoke Sunday to a cell phone alert warning them of an “incident” at a nuclear plant just east of Toronto — only to later be told the message was a mistake. The message, transmitted throughout the nation’s most-populous province, said an unspecified event had occurred at the Pickering Nuclear Generating Station. It said there was no abnormal release of radioactivity, and people did not need to take protective action.

Read more: Canada