Algiers change their sound and slow things down with 'There Is No Year'

by Brandon Carson

One of the most exciting bands to come out of the last decade was Algiers from Atlanta, Georgia. Franklin James Fisher and company released their self-titled debut album under Matador Records in 2015. The way they fused punk, gospel and experimental rock was (and still is) new and exciting. Songs like “Blood” and “Black Eunuch” are great examples of the band’s full potential. Their second record, The Underside of Power, was released in 2017 to critical acclaim. Algiers took their sound from the first record and expanded on it. Rage and aggression can be heard in “Cleveland,” “Animals,” and “Cry of the Martyrs” giving the record a political tone as a rallying cry for oppressed groups. Unfortunately, while the sound and message shine on The Underside of Power, There Is No Year lacks that cohesion and powerful songwriting. Instead, the band opted for a quieter record.

Too much room to breathe

The past two Algiers records have had the perfect balance of excitement, suspense, and atmosphere. “Animals” and “Hymn for an Average Man” are prime examples of this. One is an aggressive political attack while the other is a slower, drawn-out piece that still fits in the context of the album. On There Is No Year, there are far too many songs where interest is lost. Tracks like “Repeating Night,” “Wait For the Sound,” and “We Can’t Be Found” spend too much time in one section instead of changing the instrumental up to keep it interesting. However, there are very interesting elements in these songs: the vocals are fantastic, and the electronic influence feels new and right at home with their sound.

One of my favorite aspects of their previous albums is the excitement and raw aggression. There Is No Year is completely lacking in that department. The title track, “Dispossession,” and “Void” are the only songs that give off aggression and excitement. The problem is that the tracks that are lacking this make up of the album. I found myself bored, waiting for a song to come in and sweep me away. Algiers doesn’t need to have an angry track in every album; however, most of the songs that don’t have that aspect here lack a change in structure and just kind of ramble on. “Unoccupied” continues to repeat itself, “Wait for the Sound” is carried vocally, but it goes on for too long, and “We Can’t Be Found” builds up, but never delivers like what they have done before.

A great change in sound

While the songwriting on this record isn’t its strongest suit, the change in sound was a delightful change of pace for the band. Each record sound
s different and this one relies a lot more on electronics than the first two. It allows for even more atmosphere and room to breathe. While it might be too much for some of the songs, it really works for others. “Nothing Bloomed” is a haunting track with great synth work and vocals, “Chaka” is a groovy song reliant on synths and a great melody. There ’s even a saxophone solo in it! The title track lets the listener know right away what they’re getting into. A slow repeating beat with claps while Fisher sings, “ Now it's two minutes to midnight, and they're / Building houses of cards / It will spiral out until the day we all fall .” The song builds and builds getting better with each chord. “Dispossession” is classic Algiers but mixed with their newer sound. The track is piano-driven with the gospel influence from the last two records. There Is No Year is driven by the vocals, putting the lyrics at the forefront.

Their change in sound isn’t too significant, but it definitely makes the vocals stand out more, which is always a plus. Fisher sounds fantastic on this record. “Void” is exactly what I was waiting for. A fast, energetic, punk-influenced song that ends the album perfectly. The track mixes that energy with layers of the atmosphere while still keeping the vocals at the forefront.

Best Tracks:

There Is No Year

Dispossession

Void

Recommended if you like:

Gary Clark Jr.

Zeal and Ardor

Bandcamp