Christmas tree, coffee table stolen in Dill Street burglary

<p>One individual was arrested Dec. 5, 2019, for a burglary incident at a house on Dill Street. His roommate, who accompanied him in the burglary, returned the stolen items and the they apologized to the victims. <strong>Mara Semon, DN File</strong></p>

One individual was arrested Dec. 5, 2019, for a burglary incident at a house on Dill Street. His roommate, who accompanied him in the burglary, returned the stolen items and the they apologized to the victims. Mara Semon, DN File

A coffee table, an Indiana state flag, a United States flag, a Bud Light banner, an LED sign and a Christmas tree were among items stolen in a burglary at a house on Dill Street, according to a Muncie Police Department (MPD) report.

The burglary occurred Dec. 3, after an individual and his roommate climbed through a window of the house and stole the aforementioned items, the MPD report states.

The victims of the burglary had a security camera that recorded the incident, it states. They shared photographs from the footage and received tips leading them to the two suspects.

One individual in the burglary incident was arrested Thursday and released Friday. His roommate returned the stolen items and they apologized to the victims.

In preparation for the semester break, Ball State's Department of Public Safety sent out a campus-wide email Friday offering tips to prevent burglaries. These tips include:

• Make sure to lock all doors and windows.
  • Use an alarm system if you have one.
  • Do not leave keys in hiding places.
  • Be cautious with whom you are sharing personal and travel information, including on social media sites.
  • If possible take your valuables with you during the break. If that's not possible, make sure the items are secured and not left in plain sight.
  • Never leave cash in your residence.
  • Inventory and secure electronic equipment and when possible, photograph valuables and record serial numbers. Place this information in a secure location.
  • Hold newspaper and mail deliveries when away from a residence for an extended period of time.
  • Place lighting and other electronic devices (TVs, radios) on timers to give the appearance that someone is home.
  • If you see something, say something!