Men’s Swimming and Diving sweeps weekend, Women fall to Eastern Michigan

Ball State Swimming and Diving had a full schedule this weekend. Both the men’s and women’s teams had two meets this weekend. 

Both squads walked away victorious against Eastern Illinois on Friday, with the men winning, 137-125, and the women, 201-611. On Saturday, the men picked up a win over Wabash, 195.5-96.5. The women fell to Eastern Michigan, 167-133. 

At Eastern Illinois, the men took an early lead thanks to the winning 1:36.67 time posted by seniors Ben Andrew and Jacob Powell, and freshman Bryce Handshoe, and Owen Chaye in the 200 medley relay. 

The Cardinals built a lead early, but Eastern Illinois mounted a comeback late winning four of the last six events, but Ball State held on for the win.

The women  won every event on the night, including a sweep of first, second, and third in the 400-free relay. The winning team posted a time of  3:36.73 and consisted of seniors Anne Vormohr and Peighton Gilbert, freshman Shelby Crist and junior Audrey Schank. The women would win the meet 201-61

Saturday, both teams came home as the men faced Wabash and the women faced Eastern Michigan.

The women opened the meet in the 400-medley relay, falling one 100th of a second shy of the pool record with a time of 3:50.7. The Eagles set the pool record with a first place team time of 3:50.6. 

Ball State Freshman, Wyatt Blake competes in the home opener against Wabash College Nov. 2, 2019, at Lewellen Aquatic Center. The Ball State men's and women's teams defeated Wabash and Eastern Michigan with a combined score 195.5-96.5.  Paul Kihn, DN

“It was just battling through and through, to go against a tough Eastern Michigan team for the women,” coach Jeremy Agnew said. “The bar was set high. Let’s put it that way.”

In the diving well, senior Rachel Bertram swept both the 1-meter and 3-meter dives. However, her performance was not enough to pull the Cardinals through as they fell 167-133 to the Eagles. 

The men fared much better against Wabash, with strong performances all around, including personal best from sophomore Hunter Ongay on the 1-meter board 

(267.30) and junior Trey Matheis (198.55) on the 3-meter. The men went on to win the event 195.5-96.5 the win moves the men to 2-0 on the year. 

We’ve focused a lot on little technique things, and getting a more anaerobic base,” senior Ben Andrew said. “That helps us make it through the longer races, and still maintain the speed.”

Coach Agnew said he was  happy with how the teams have started the year, but is concerned that fatigue may be an issue going forward.

“I thought these last two days our legs looked tired,” Agnew Said. “They have been training extremely hard. We need to see adaptation to the training.” 

The men and women are both off next weekend before both play host to Grand Valley State on November 16 at 1 pm.

Contact Matt Sharp with comments at mtsharp@bsu.edu or on twitter at @sharpmatthew66.