Ball State Greek Life director steps down

Over the next few weeks, Ball State Greek Life will be conducting a national search for its new director to lead university’s sorority and fraternity community after its Kari Murphy stepped down Oct. 25.

“As of Oct. 25, I have departed this position to explore other career opportunities,” Murphy said in an automated email response from her Ball State account.

Murphy served as the inaugural director of Greek Life at Ball State since 2017 when the department split from the Office of Student Life. 

Prior to holding that position, she served as assistant director of Student Life from 2013-14 and associate director of Student Life from 2014-2016 — two positions that worked closely with Greek organizations.

In an email shared by Jim Hague, director of Student Life, it listed three areas of growth under Murphy’s leadership.

She enhanced risk-reduction programming by developing and implementing Sober Monitor Training for Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association chapters, Safe Party Training for National Pan-Hellenic Conference chapters and the Greek Peer Advocates Program, which has been nationally recognized for its impact within the Ball State community.

She also said the support and advisement team for Dance Marathon enhanced the university’s commitment to service within the community.

Finally, Murphy led the shift for New Member Greek Academy to an online program with the option for chapters to supplement the curriculum with facilitation from their chapter leadership.

Until her replacement is found, the email stated, Emma Mentley, assistant director of Student Life, will provide leadership and advisement for the PHA and NPHC chapters at Ball State.

Meanwhile, the current Greek Life staff of Assistant Director Kollin Fitzpatrick, Office Coordinator Melissa Swackhamer and graduate assistants “will continue their roles in supporting the leadership, scholarship and service of our Greek members,” the email stated.

As for advising Dance Marathon in regards to Greek Life, Kara Westfall, assistant director of student life, will assume those responsibilities with Hague.

Hague will also provide oversight for the Greek Life unit, including direct supervision of the full-time staff and indirect supervision of the graduate staff.

Contact Evan Weaver with comments at erweaver@bsu.edu or on Twitter @evan_weaver7.