5 national stories of the week

<p>In this Nov. 14, 2019, photo, a student attaches a note to the Resilience Project board on the campus of Utah Valley University, in Orem, Utah. The purpose of the project is to let students know that it is OK to struggle. More college students are turning to their schools for help with anxiety, depression and other mental health problems. That's according to an Associated Press review of more than three dozen public universities. <strong>(AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)</strong></p>

In this Nov. 14, 2019, photo, a student attaches a note to the Resilience Project board on the campus of Utah Valley University, in Orem, Utah. The purpose of the project is to let students know that it is OK to struggle. More college students are turning to their schools for help with anxiety, depression and other mental health problems. That's according to an Associated Press review of more than three dozen public universities. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

College students’ mental health, winter weather woes for holiday travelers, Taylor Swift’s record at the American Music Awards, Conan the dog’s welcome at the White House and updates on the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump make up this week’s five national stories.

This Nov. 14, 2019, photo shows notes attached to the Resilience Project board on the campus of Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah. More college students are turning to their schools for help with anxiety, depression and other mental health problems. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

As stigma ebbs, college students seek mental health help

More college students are turning to their schools for help with anxiety, depression and other mental health problems, and many must wait weeks for treatment or find help elsewhere, as campus clinics struggle to meet demand, an Associated Press review of more than three dozen public universities found. On some campuses, the number of students seeking treatment has nearly doubled over the last five years while overall enrollment has remained relatively flat.

Read More: Mental health

In this Nov. 21, 2018, file photo, travelers wait in long lines to pass through a security checkpoint at Denver International Airport in Denver. Thanksgiving travel is an ordeal under the best of circumstances, and a one-two punch of bad weather threatens to make it even more exhausting. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)

Winter storms threaten to snarl US holiday travel

Overnight into Tuesday, a strong winter storm was expected to drop up to a foot of snow in parts of Colorado and Wyoming, prompting airlines to issue travel alerts and the National Weather Service to issue blizzard and winter weather warnings from the Rocky Mountains to the Great Lakes. The storm was expected to move into the Plains later Tuesday and could bring another round of snow to the Upper Midwest and a chance of snow in New England this weekend.

Read more: Winter Weather

Taylor Swift, winner of the artist of the decade award, performs a medley at the American Music Awards on Sunday, Nov. 24, 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

Swift moonwalks past Michael Jackson’s record at AMA Awards

Taylor Swift has moonwalked past Michael Jackson’s record at the 2019 American Music Awards, taking home six honors, including artist of the year and artist of the decade. The pop star, who walked into Sunday night’s show with 23 AMAs, surpassed the King of Pop’s 24 wins at the fan-voted show. She rambled onstage as she won the artist of the year award and repeatedly thanked her fans for always showing up — during both the good and bad times.

Read more: American Music Awards

Vice President Mike Pence pets Conan, the U.S. Army dog that participated in the raid that killed ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, in the Rose Garden of the White House, Monday, Nov. 25, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/ Evan Vucci)

Conan the dog gets hero’s welcome at White House after raid

Conan, a U.S. military dog who participated in the raid that killed Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, seemed oblivious to President Donald Trump’s praises Monday at the White House and more interested in getting head scratches from the vice president, repeatedly looking up at Mike Pence for more attention. Trump used a slew of adjectives to describe Conan — “Incredible.” “Brilliant.” “Smart.” “Ultimate fighter.” “Very special.” “Tough cookie.”

Read More: Islamic State group

President Donald Trump walks with Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov to the Oval Office of the White House, Monday, Nov. 25, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)

Committee report on impeachment could land next week

On Monday, hundreds of pages from Democratic Chairman Adam Schiff’s intelligence committee were being compiled into an exhaustive report that will begin to outline whether President Donald Trump engaged in “treason, bribery or high crimes and misdemeanors” by withholding $400 million in aid as he pushed Ukraine to investigate Democratic rival Joe Biden. The report may come as soon as next week.

Read More: Trump impeachment inquiry