5 national stories of the week

<p>Students say the Pledge of Allegiance as thousands gather at a candlelight vigil for several students killed in the Saugus High School shooting in Central Park, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019, in Santa Clarita, Calif. Detectives were searching for a motive for the killings carried out by the shooter on his 16th birthday. <strong>(Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times via AP)</strong></p>

Students say the Pledge of Allegiance as thousands gather at a candlelight vigil for several students killed in the Saugus High School shooting in Central Park, Sunday, Nov. 17, 2019, in Santa Clarita, Calif. Detectives were searching for a motive for the killings carried out by the shooter on his 16th birthday. (Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times via AP)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Shootings in California and New Jersey, the trial for this summer’s Colorado school shooting, California’s lawsuit against Juul and updates on the Trump impeachment inquiry make up this week’s five national stories.

Hannah Schooping-Gutierrez, center, a student at Saugus High School, is comforted by her boyfriend Declan Sheridan, at right, a student at nearby Valencia High School during a vigil at Central Park in the aftermath of a shooting at Saugus Thursday, Nov. 14, 2019, in Santa Clarita, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Thousands at vigil for victims of California shooting

Thousands of people held a candlelight vigil to remember two students shot and killed by a classmate at his Southern California high school as investigators try to determine what prompted the deadly attack that left three other teens wounded. Detectives were searching for a motive for the killings carried out by the teen who pulled a .45-caliber handgun from his backpack and shot five students at random before shooting himself in the head.

Read More: Shootings

Camden High School football players walk down Park Blvd. in Camden, N.J., as they head back to their football field and locker room on Friday night, November 15, 2019. Earlier in the evening, Camden's football game at Pleasantville H.S. was interrupted by gunfire that occurred on the Pleasantville side of the football field in what authorities said Saturday was the result of “petty vengeance.” (Elizabeth Robertson/The Philadelphia Inquirer via AP )

Alleged gunman, victim among 6 charged after game shooting

Six men have been charged after a shooting at a New Jersey high school football game that critically wounded a 10-year-old boy and sent players and the packed crowd fleeing in panic. The shooting happened in the stands of a Friday night playoff game between the Camden Panthers and the Pleasantville Greyhounds. The 10-year-old remained in critical condition Saturday. A 15-year-old boy was treated for a graze wound.

Read more: Pleasantville

FILE - In this May 7, 2019 file photo, police officers and students are seen outside STEM School Highlands Ranch, a charter middle school in the Denver suburb of Highlands Ranch, Colo., after a shooting. A judge determined Nov. 18, 2019, that prosecutors have enough evidence to take the case against one of the two teen suspects to trial. (Courtney Harper via AP, File)

Judge says teen to stand trial in Colorado school shooting

A Colorado judge ruled a teenage shooter should stand trial on more than 40 charges, including murder, in the May 7 shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch. The ruling came on the first day of a hearing that will also determine whether the 16-year-old will be tried as an adult. In September, another judge found that the shooter’s accused 19-year-old accomplice could be prosecuted on 44 charges that include murder and attempted murder.

Read more: School shootings

FILE - In this Dec. 20, 2018, file photo a woman buys refills for her Juul at a smoke shop in New York. California is suing the nation’s biggest e-cigarette maker, alleging Juul Labs deliberately targeted teenagers with its early marketing campaigns. The lawsuit filed Monday, Nov. 18, 2019, by California’s attorney general is the latest legal action against Juul. The company faces multiple state and federal investigations into whether its early marketing efforts helped spark the current vaping craze among underage users. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

California sues e-cigarette maker Juul over ads, youth sales

California sued the nation’s biggest e-cigarette maker, alleging that Juul Labs deliberately marketed and sold its flavored nicotine products to teenagers — the latest lawsuit against the multi-billion dollar vaping startup that has been widely blamed for helping spark the teen vaping craze. California is the second state to sue the company, following a North Carolina lawsuit in May. Illinois, Massachusetts and several other states are also investigating the company.

Read More: Vaping

FILE - In this Sept. 25, 2019, file photo, President Donald Trump meets with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy at the InterContinental Barclay New York hotel during the United Nations General Assembly in New York. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

AP Exclusive: US officials knew of Ukraine’s Trump anxiety

U.S. State Department officials were informed Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy was feeling pressure from the Trump administration to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden even before the July phone call that has led to the impeachment hearings. In early May, officials at the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv, including then-Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch, were told Zelenskiy was seeking advice on how to navigate the difficult position he was in.

Read More: Trump impeachment inquiry