5 national stories of the week

<p>A woman walking the half mile from Chicago's Adler Planetarium to the Chicago Aquarium braces herself in the stiff wind and blowing snow off Lake Michigan, Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, in Chicago. <strong>(AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)</strong></p>

A woman walking the half mile from Chicago's Adler Planetarium to the Chicago Aquarium braces herself in the stiff wind and blowing snow off Lake Michigan, Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Winter weather across the country, a former president undergoing surgery, record number of migrant kids in custody, dams at risk across the U.S. and Juul’s ban on an e-cigarette flavor make up this week’s five national stories.

Snow covers graves where veterans are buried at The Great Lakes Cemetery on Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, in Holly, Mich. (Rachel Ellis/Saginaw News via AP)

Winter already? Snow, deep freeze from Rockies to East Coast

An arctic air mass that brought snow and ice to an area stretching from the Rocky Mountains to northern New England Monday was poised to give way to record-breaking cold temperatures. Snowfall totals could reach up to a foot or more in some areas of Indiana, Michigan and Vermont, according to the National Weather Service. More than 950 flights were canceled at Chicago’s airports. Winter doesn’t officially start until Dec. 22 this year.

Read more: Weather

In this Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019, file photo, former President Jimmy Carter teaches Sunday school at Maranatha Baptist Church, in Plains, Ga. Nearly four decades after he left office and despite a body that’s failing after 95 years, the nation’s oldest-ever ex-president still teaches Sunday school roughly twice monthly at the church. (AP Photo/John Amis, File)

Former President Jimmy Carter enters hospital for surgery

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter was admitted to a hospital Monday evening for a surgery to relieve pressure on his brain caused by bleeding from his recent falls. Carter has fallen at least three times this year — the first required a hip replacement surgery, the second resulted in 14 stitches and the third had him briefly hospitalized due to a fracture in his pelvis. He received a dire cancer diagnosis in 2015 but survived and has since said he is cancer-free.

Read more: Jimmy Carter

In this Sept. 24, 2019 photo, girls eat lunch at a shelter for migrant teenage girls, in Lake Worth, Fla. The nonprofit U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants opened the federally funded Rinconcito del Sol shelter this summer, aiming to make it a model of excellence in a system of 170 detention centers, residential shelters and foster programs which held nearly 70,000 migrant kids in the past year. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

U.S. held record number of migrant kids in custody in 2019

Government data shows 69,550 migrant children were held in U.S. government custody over the past year — enough to overflow the typical NFL stadium. That’s more kids detained away from their parents than any other country, according to United Nations researchers. This is happening despite the U.S. government acknowledging being held in detention can be traumatic for children, putting them at risk of long-term physical and emotional damage.

Read More: Immigration

This photo provided by the Nebraska Department of Natural Resources shows the Spencer Dam near Spencer, Neb., in March 2019, after the dam failed during a flood. (Nebraska Department of Natural Resources via AP)

At least 1,680 dams across U.S. pose potential risk

A review of federal data and reports obtained under state open records laws identified 1,688 high-hazard dams rated in poor or unsatisfactory condition as of last year in 44 states and Puerto Rico. The actual number is almost certainly higher. Some states declined to provide condition ratings for their dams, claiming exemptions to public record requests. Others simply haven’t rated all their dams due to lack of funding, staffing or authority to do so.

Read More: Dams

FILE - In this Dec. 20, 2018, file photo a woman buys refills for her Juul at a smoke shop in New York. The e-cigarette maker Juul Labs said Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019, that it will halt sales of its best-selling mint-flavored vaping pods. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)

Juul halts U.S. sales of popular mint-flavored e-cigarettes

Juul Labs said Nov. 7 it will halt U.S. sales of its best-selling, mint-flavored electronic cigarettes, as it struggles to survive a nationwide backlash against vaping. This comes days after new government research showed Juul is the top brand among high schoolers who use e-cigarettes and that many prefer mint. In the latest government survey, one in four high school students reported using e-cigarettes in the previous month, despite federal law banning sales to those under 18.

Read More: Vaping