Support Services of Muncie gathered together under one roof for the Muncie people

MUNCIE, Ind. (NewsLink) — Community Connect of Delaware County put on a free event Thursday to gather together Muncie’s support services.

Over 40 vendors from the community showed up for the event. These vendors offered same-day free services to people with limited resources. Some of those services included health screenings, providing grocery items, legal services, employment and education support, and even haircuts. 

Nate Bohem, a Muncie resident, said his new haircut made him feel like a different person. 

"I feel clean, because I've been homeless for the past couple months; I haven't been able to get a haircut,” Bohem said. “ I feel human again."

The free haircuts were done by the cosmetology students from the Muncie Area Career Center. Wyatt Scheid said he participates in the event because of the experience and feelings. 

“It makes me feel good to help other people. That's part of the reason why I am in the cosmetology career. I love making people feel good. I love transforming people it's just a great feeling in general,” Scheid said. 

The instructor of the students, Krista Sides, got the students to participate in the event because she wanted them to be more involved in the community. She also said their involvement is impacting. 

“Were getting lots of comments on how well they're doing, and just what good people they're being, which really makes my heart happy,” Sides said. 

Director of Community Engagement and Wrap Around Support, Alisa Wells, said this event is a way to raise awareness about the support services that Muncie has to offer. 

“We recognize that what these social service agencies are doing in our community is incredibly valuable and much needed,” Wells said.

The services the vendors provided were the equivalent to office or online visits. 

For comments or concerns about this story, contact the author at bdobbins@bsu.edu.