5 national stories of the week

<p>President Donald Trump speaks during an Armed Forces welcome ceremony for the new chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark Milley, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Va. <strong>(AP Photo/Evan Vucci)</strong></p>

President Donald Trump speaks during an Armed Forces welcome ceremony for the new chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark Milley, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, Va. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Updates surrounding Trump’s impeachment inquiry including Rudy Giuliani being subpoenaed by the House and the president seeking foreign help on the origins of the Russia investigation, Forever 21 filing for bankruptcy, California letting NCAA players sign endorsement deals and the Supreme Court hearing on job discrimination against transgender people make up this week’s five national stories.

FILE - In this Aug. 1, 2018 file photo, Rudy Giuliani, attorney for President Donald Trump, addresses a gathering during a campaign event in Portsmouth, N.H. House committees have subpoena Giuliani for documents related to Ukraine. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa, File )

Giuliani subpoenaed as impeachment inquiry accelerates

Democrats on Monday subpoenaed Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal lawyer who was at the heart of Donald Trump’s efforts to get Ukraine to investigate political rival and former Vice President Joe Biden’s family. That was after one of Trump’s staunchest defenders, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, said he would have “no choice” but to consider articles of impeachment if the House approved them.

Read more: Trump Impeachment Inquiry

FILE - In this Monday, Sept. 9, 2019, file photo, Attorney General William Barr speaks as President Donald Trump listens during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House, in Washington. Trump recently asked the Australian prime minister and other foreign leaders to help Barr with an investigation into the origins of the Russia probe that shadowed his administration for more than two years, the Justice Department said Monday. Sept. 30. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)

Trump sought Australia’s help on Russia probe origins

President Donald Trump recently asked the Australian prime minister and other foreign leaders to help Attorney General William Barr with an investigation into the origins of the Russia probe that shadowed his administration for more than two years. Trump’s interactions with foreign leaders — and Barr’s role in those discussions — are under heightened scrutiny now that the House has launched an impeachment inquiry into the president.

Read more: Trump Impeachment Inquiry

A Forever 21 store is shown, Monday, Sept. 30, 2019, in Aventura, Fla. The low-price fashion chain, a one-time hot destination for teen shoppers that fell victim to its own rapid expansion and changing consumer tastes, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)

Forever 21 bankruptcy reflects teens’ new shopping behavior

The Los Angeles-based privately held chain, Forever 21, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Sunday, a victim of rapidly changing shopping tastes among teens who are increasingly turning away from malls and heading to trendy online sites. The company is closing as many as 350 of its 800 stores globally, including as many as 178 of its 500 stores in the U.S. The company says it will still operate its e-commerce business, which accounts for 16 percent of total sales.

FILE - In this March 21, 2013, file photo, an athlete jumps near the NCAA logo during practice for a second-round game of the NCAA college basketball tournament in Austin, Texas. Defying the NCAA, California's governor signed a first-in-the-nation law Monday, Sept. 30, that will let college athletes hire agents and make money from endorsements — a move that could upend amateur sports in the U.S. and trigger a legal challenge. (AP Photo/Eric Gay, File)

California to let college athletes sign endorsement deals

Defying the NCAA, California opened the way Monday for college athletes to hire agents and make money from endorsement deals with sponsors, just like the pros. The first-in-the-nation law, signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom and set to take effect in 2023, could upend amateur sports and trigger a legal challenge. Newsom and others cast it as an attempt to bring more fairness to big-money college athletics and let players share in the wealth they create for their schools. 

Read more: Gavin Newsom

Aimee Stephens talks during in an interview in Ferndale, Mich., Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2019. The Supreme Court will hear Stephens’ case Oct. 8 over whether federal civil rights law that bars job discrimination on the basis of sex protects transgender people. Other arguments that day deal with whether the same law covers sexual orientation. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Transgender woman in U.S. Supreme Court case is ‘happy being me’
The Supreme Court will hear the case of Aimee Stephens Oct. 8 over whether federal civil rights law that bars job discrimination on the basis of sex protects transgender people. Other arguments that day deal with whether the same law covers sexual orientation. The cases are the first involving LGBT rights since the retirement of Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court’s gay-rights champion and decisive vote on those issues.

Read more: U.S. Supreme Court