An Indiana-based film will be featured at the Heartland International Film Festival

MUNCIE, Ind.(NewsLink) - Hoosier filmmaker Skyler Lawson is one of the many filmmakers who will be attending this years 28th annual Heartland International Film Festival. His new feature film, 'Whelm,' will have its world premiere during the festival. 

NewsLink Indiana’s Marlee Thomas held an interview with Lawson Friday, Oct. 4 to talk about his career.

Lawson grew up in Wabash, Indiana. When he decided to chase his dream and become a filmmaker, he decided to film his first feature film in his hometown.

Lawson wanted it to be a love letter to the place where he grew up. 

“Filmmaking will probably take me all over,” said Lawson. “When we look back at that in 20 years, it’s kind of a stamp in time of that’s what Wabash looked like then. You never know what will change” 

The Heartland International Film Festival begins on Oct. 10. The festival will feature more than 100 independent films, 200 visiting filmmakers and 300 film screenings. 

Lawson’s feature film will be one of the Indiana Spotlight films featured at the festival.  

“Having a feature film under your belt is a massive accomplishment,” Lawson said. “Going through the process of making a feature film is extremely rewarding.”

The world premiere of 'Whelm' will be on Oct. 13 in the Toby Theater at Newfields Museum in Indianapolis.

Prior to the premiere, Lawson and his film crew will hold a panel discussion at Castleton Square Mall. 

“We’re so grateful to heartland for having a moment where people can maybe learn what it took to make the movie they are getting ready to watch,” said Lawson.

For those who are not able to attend the world premiere of the film on Oct. 13, the film will be featured on Oct. 17 at AMC Castleton Square. 

“We just love the idea of showing the movie in a theater, I feel like that’s where it belongs,” said Lawson. “We’re really trying to make sure people get the theater experience for the movie.”

Heartland International Film Festival will run from Oct. 10 to Oct. 20.

For any comments or concerns about this story, contact the author at msthomas2@bsu.edu.