Jimbo-laya: Marvel-ous mistake

Subhead: So much was weight on Spiderman, and Sony and Disney pulled the plug

Tom Holland in "Spider-Man: Far From Home." Photo courtesy, TNS

Joshua Smith is a freshman graphic design major and writes “Jimbo-laya” for The Daily News. His views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Joshua at jhsmith2@bsu.edu.

Spider-Man has already gone through a lot, but this is too much. 

To be completely honest, I had no clue what even happened until my friend asked “Y’all hear Spider-Man won’t be in Marvel movies anymore?” 

I was completely confused with what he said simply because I didn’t want to believe what he was saying was true. I immediately went to Google and when the results came up, I couldn’t believe what I was reading. 

By this point I assume that you’ve heard the cries of the internet over what unfolded between Sony and Marvel. If not, get out from underneath that rock you call a home. 

Sony and Marvel couldn’t come to an agreement on how to split the royalties flowing from the “Amazing Spider-Man.” Disney wanted a “50/50 co-financing arrangement,” Sony said no and didn’t even give a counter-proposal. 

This means that the sole reason that Tom Holland will no longer be portraying your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man in Marvel films is because Sony gave all of the profit to themselves. 

Regardless of the amount of money these two children were fighting over, it is nothing compared to what Spider-Man means and stands for for so many people.

When I went and saw “Spider-Man: Far From Home” I was completely enveloped in the story; the directors really pulled at the emotions lasting from Avengers: End Game. Tony Stark’s legacy being passed on to a kid from Queens that he cared for like a son, and then seeing that same kid upholding that legacy, rising to the occasion and saving the day was amazing. 

Spider-Man is closer to the general populous than any other superhero. He is the closest to a normal person like me and you and that gives me a bit of confidence thinking that I could be the one behind the mask... minus the super strength, agility, etc. 

In the movie “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” Mary Jane gives a eulogy and in that speech says, “My husband Peter Parker was an ordinary person, he always said it could be anyone behind the mask, he was just the one who happened to get bit.” 

That is what makes Sony and Disney bickering over this role model such a big deal to me. He is a simple person that helps anyone, the only difference between us is he has superpowers. 

The whole idea of Spider-Man is that he’s one of “us,” just another person who does what he can to help. The fact that money is what ripped him out of the MCU is ridiculous.

From here I don’t know what to expect. I could protest all of Sony or “Storm Sony” like 9,000 others in the Facebook event group “Storm Sony (And Disney) And Bring Spider-Man Home To The MCU.” It’s just like storming area 51 except you won’t get immediately shot down. 

On the other hand I am very curious as to what Marvel plans to do now that they’ve just lost a character that, in the most recent film, was given so much to carry. He’s just gone.

This situation has such a simple fix to it yet the two in charge, sadly, can’t agree. I don’t know about you but I’m gonna do like Tony Stark and get a cheeseburger, because I don’t feel so good.