Ball State first lady, Ivy Tech president, participate in YWCA fundraiser

The YWCA of Central Indiana hosted an event with the objective of accomplishing one part of their motto — “empowering women.”

The organization hosted “YWCA Champions — Women in Higher Education Fighting for Women's Rights,” a YWCA fundraising campaign, Wednesday at Ivy Tech Community College in downtown Muncie.

Jennifer Mearns, first lady of Ball State, and Sue Ellspermann, president of Ivy Tech, helped run the event. 

Ellspermann said she believed it was necessary for Ivy Tech to be involved in the fundraiser because the college’s faculty and staff hear, interact and help empower women from the Muncie community.

“I think empowerment is something that we all have to look to give away to each other, then we can succeed,” Ellspermann said. 

Mearns said she teamed up with Ivy Tech for the event to spread awareness of the YWCA and showcase the great work they do. She said Ellspermann and her had a goal for raising $5,000 each to give to the YWCA.

“There’s a lot of evidence that education is the number one factor for taking people out of poverty,” Mearns said. “So, I think it’s so important to us as people in education support the Y and its incredible work.”

The event was the YWCA’s biggest fundraiser for the year. Guests at the event were served wine and cheesecake, and they participated in a silent auction, with all proceeds going to the organization.  

YWCA will be giving free tours of its facility to spread awareness about it Sept. 28.

Katie McDonald and Kara Hernandez contributed to this story.