Ball State to break ground for new Foundational Sciences Building

<p>Ball State will host a groundbreaking ceremony for the Foundational Sciences Building Sept. 6, 2019, on the northeast corner of Martin Street and Ashland Avenue. The building is anticipated to be completed by summer 2021. <strong>Marc Ransford, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Ball State will host a groundbreaking ceremony for the Foundational Sciences Building Sept. 6, 2019, on the northeast corner of Martin Street and Ashland Avenue. The building is anticipated to be completed by summer 2021. Marc Ransford, Photo Provided

Ball State will break ground for a new building on campus this week.

The university will be hosting a groundbreaking ceremony for the Foundational Sciences Building 4 p.m. Friday on the northeast corner of Martin Street and Ashland Avenue, according to a Ball State press release.

The new $87.5 million, five-story structure will be the home of the chemistry and biology departments. The press release states the project is a "significant step" in the university's plan to meet the growing demand for STEM professionals in Indiana, the press release states.

The new 208,000 square feet building, located in the new East Quad, just to the south of the new Health Professions Building, will also feature an aquatics suite, collaborative space, faculty and graduate offices, conference rooms, an imaging suite, a research library, computer labs, classrooms, teaching laboratories and research laboratories, the release states.

The project, part of a phased plan to replace the Cooper Science Complex, is anticipated to be completed summer 2021.