Charli XCX’s ‘Charli’ shows the highs and lows of being the “Princess of the Party”

by Jack Gillespie Charli XCX’s career trajectory since 2015 has been incredibly thrilling to see unfold. Just one year after being a part of two of the biggest songs of the year (Iggy Azalea's “Fancy” and her own “Boom Clap”), she put out her EP Vroom Vroom in a collaboration with experimental producer SOPHIE that still stands as some of the darkest, out of left-field, yet enthralling projects to ever come from an artist as big as her.  Since then, with the help of the likes of producers SOPHIE and A.G. Cook (co-executive producer of Charli), she has been consistently putting out some of the most forward-thinking, extraterrestrial pop music out there right now. From her collab-heavy mixtapes ‘Number 1 Angel’ and ‘Pop 2’ in 2017 to a spew of singles released in 2018, and even an entire scrapped album, Charli hit the ground running in this new direction. 

A call to prayer for the life of the party

Charli

A mixed bag of electropop bangers

Charli Señorita Charli
Charli

A sluggish middle sandwich-ed between experimental pop perfection

Number 1 Angel “Swallow my feelings, but won't swallow my pride / You know I've got a suit of armor on, you'll never see me cry / I hate the silence, that's why the music's always loud / So many problems, I try to drown 'em out” Charli Top Tracks: Recommended If You Like:
The Pitchfork