UPD helps build a presence in the community

Apart from maintaining security and enforcing regulations at Ball State is necessary, the University Police Department (UPD) also attempts to build its presence in the community.  

Through events like the recently concluded Dunk-a-Cop, Lunch with a Cop, Citizens Police Academy, assisting students with bike registrations etc., UPD helps connect its officers with Ball State and neighboring communities.

These programs have come from interest or requests from the community on how they can help police relations, said Director of Safety Jim Duckham. 

“We just try to really provide an opportunity to increase our engagement and each year, we've tried to do more and more,” Duckham said. 

He said there are a few programs and events “in the works” for this school year, ideas that came from resident assistants and students.

Sgt. Michael Lucas, said via email he tries to participate in as many community outreach programs that he can.

When it comes to watching the community, Duckham said UPD patrols not only the campus, but the neighborhoods “immediately adjacent” to campus as well. 

He said UPD’s boundaries range from McGalliard Road to White River Boulevard and Wheeling Avenue to Tillotson Avenue. 

When there aren’t any programs happening or the officers aren’t on a vehicle patrol, all UPD officers are expected to perform a foot patrol on campus, Duckham said. 

Lucas said officers “are encouraged to do at least 30 minutes of foot patrol per shift,” but he could be on his feet longer than that, depending on the number of calls he gets and staffing for the day.

“It gives me an opportunity to get out of the police car and have face-to-face interaction with people outside of the realm of a call for service,” he said. “Some of our officers sometimes take advantage of being out of their car and sit down and eat with students in one of our dining facilities.”

During dinner hours, Lucas said he typically likes to conduct a foot patrol in an area highly traveled area like Atrium or McKinley Avenue.

When asked how students could help make a UPD officer’s foot patrol easier, Lucas said over email said he wouldn’t describe these foot patrol “as hard or not enjoyable.”

“Historically, though, when people see the police they automatically think someone is in trouble.  Sometimes that may be the case, but we use our foot patrols to be visible and available to our community,” he said. “These things may mean different things to different people; visibility deters criminal activity and promotes a safe environment.”

Cpl. Travis Stephens said events like Dunk-A-Cop help the public see the officers “as humans.”

“[You] can always stop and say ‘hi’ to pretty much any one of us you know,” Stephens said. “We like interacting and meeting new people, and that’s why we love this job.” 

Contact Charles Melton with comments at cwmelton@bsu.edu or on Twitter@Cmelton144.