Ball Corporation to debut infinitely-recyclable aluminum cup

The Ball Corporation announced the launch of a pilot for infinitely-recyclable aluminum cups in a press release Aug. 27, 2019.

Ball Corporation announced the launch of a pilot for infinitely-recyclable aluminum cups.

In a press release Tuesday, Ball corporation announced the cups will debut in September with an additional roll out during the fall at major entertainment and sports venues across the country.

"As our customers and consumers increasingly seek sustainable beverage packaging options, the launch of the aluminum cup is a significant moment for our company," said John Hayes, chairman, president and chief executive officer of the corporation. "It is our responsibility as the leader in aluminum beverage packaging to continuously innovate and provide solutions for our customers."

The cup is currently available in a 20-ounce size and Ball aims to introduce additional sizes in the future based on market demand, the press release states. Ball expects to ramp up production in its Westminster, Colorado, innovation facility by the end of 2020.

The release states, the company developed the aluminum cup over several years as an alternative to plastic cups. The pilot will produce a limited supply of aluminum cups through 2020 for use in areas where plastic cups are common.

Ball's research shows 67 percent of American consumers say they will visit a venue more often if they use aluminum cups instead of plastic cups and 78 percent of consumers expect beverage brands to use environmentally friendly containers in the next five years, it states.

It also states 75 percent of the aluminum ever produced is still in use today, calling aluminum "the most sustainable beverage packing material," and one that is "easily recyclable."

The Ball Corporation was founded in 1880 by the Ball brothers, founders of Ball State University, who moved the company to Muncie in 1887 from Buffalo, New York. In 1997, it relocated its headquarters to Broomfield, Colorado.