‘Rocketman’ sends expectations to the moon

by Sydney Norman Rocketman, the recent biopic about the life and struggles of Elton John, is a film filled with sex, drugs, and rock ’n’ roll, but it also contained depth and so many diamonds. Between its portrayal of Elton’s struggle with alcoholism and how he escaped an abusive relationship, Rocketman paints the life of Elton John as both colorful and inspiring.

Image from IMDb
The film is not entirely linear and begins near the chronological end, which typically is an overdone scenario in movies, but, in this instance, it was done remarkably well because there was a purpose. Starting the movie near the end allowed us to see things from Elton John’s perspective. As Elton is talking about his life in group therapy, his life story is told in the form of flashbacks that reveal how he learned to play piano and the poor relationship he had with his father. These flashbacks are coordinated with Elton’s songs so that the lyrics make sense with the scene, which makes the film all the more magical. Although the trailers of the film made it seem like a run-of-the-mill biopic, it leaned much harder towards a movie musical. At first, this is mildly off-putting, especially if you walk in thinking you’re going to be watching a biopic similar to 2018’s Bohemian Rhapsody, but it worked very well. This type of biopic was risky because it may not appeal to all documentarian types of filmgoers, but it would appeal to all fans of Elton John. Upon further thought, the film is more about portraying life through the eyes of Elton John himself. The color, the dancing, and the music all makes sense when the protagonist is remembered. Going in-depth into the trauma an abusive relationship can have on someone, specifically showing that relationship from the perspective of a male, made this movie all the more relevant. Seeing as men are less likely to report abuse, showing a relationship of a famous man who overcame the cycle is inspirational.
Image from IMDb
Recreating the many bedazzled, exceptionally colorful, and elaborate costumes of Elton John was surely a monstrous task, but it was done amazingly well. From sunglasses to shoes to feather headpieces, every costume piece in Rocketman was one for the books, and although these costumes weren’t original designs, the likeness to Elton John’s fashion was astounding. Taron Egerton, the actor who played Elton John, did the job so well it seems as though you’re watching video footage of Elton’s actual life. Not only could he rock the funky glasses and costumes as well as the musician, but he genuinely embodied a young Elton John. Beyond the general demeanor and voice, there is something special about the way and the energy with which Egerton portrayed Elton John. It speaks volumes about his level of talent. Impressively enough, Rocketman actually works on multiple levels: it can be watched as a musical without any prior knowledge of Elton John and still makes sense and is enjoyable. The way music is incorporated into big moments in Elton’s life allows the film to be a solid stand-alone feature, which only adds to the remarkability of the film.

Images: IMDb Featured Image: IMDb