Lil Nas X is little more than a one-trick pony on his new EP ‘7’

by Jack Gillespie Lil Nas X is an artist whose success could only be seen in 2019. Having his 2-minute long novelty country-rap song that samples an obscure Nine Inch Nails song hit the country charts off the back of its meme status on Tik Tok was just the beginning. Then came the Billboard controversy that sparked endless discussion about the segregation of the country music industry and what makes a song “country” nowadays. Then dropped the Billy Ray Cyrus remix that skyrocketed the song to the #1 song in the nation, the 11 weeks (and counting) it has spent at that spot, and all of the pop titans it has blocked from the spot during its reign; from Taylor Swift to Ed Sheerhan and Justin Bieber to Billie Eilish.  All of this context for a song with the lyrics, “My life is a movie / Bull ridin' and boobies / Cowboy hat from Gucci / Wrangler on my booty”. But as much as this song owes its success to the circumstances surrounding it and the unconventional aspects of modern music promotion, one thing is still certain; whatever, Lil Nas X’s first substantial project is will be a huge indicator of whether he will be more than a one-hit wonder; an odd yet small speck of a phenomenon that’ll be forgotten in a couple of years. So what we got with Lil Nas X’s EP, ‘7,' isn’t exactly the most promising sign. 

‘7’ is a make it or break it moment in Lil Nas X’s young career

So many directions taken, but most come out directionless

Who does Lil Nas X want to be?

Top Tracks:  Recommended if you like: 
Barstool Sports