Suspect in house party shooting pleads not guilty on attempted murder charge

<p>Seven people were injured in a shooting at a house party in the 2400 block of Euclid Avenue May 18, 2019. One suspect, VaShaun Harnett, 19, has been taken into custody. <strong>Rohith Rao, DN</strong></p>

Seven people were injured in a shooting at a house party in the 2400 block of Euclid Avenue May 18, 2019. One suspect, VaShaun Harnett, 19, has been taken into custody. Rohith Rao, DN

Judge Kimberly Dowling, the judicial officer presiding over the case, announced the following dates for Harnett’s case:

Aug. 1 - Omnibus
Oct. 10 - Pretrial at 9 a.m.
Nov. 18 - Jury trial at 9 a.m.

The suspect arrested in the shooting incident at a house party that killed one and injured six people has pleaded not guilty to a felony charge.

VaShaun Harnett, 19, who is charged with attempted murder of 20-year-old Travis Childers — a level one felony — at an early morning house party May 18 in the 2400 block of Euclid Avenue, pleaded not guilty at the initial court hearing Wednesday in Delaware County Circuit Court 2.

Childers was one of the victims who was in critical condition following the shooting. He was transported to IU Health Methodist Hospital after the shooting and has since been listed in stable condition.

One victim Daymarr Kennedy, 17, died May 20 at IU Ball Memorial Hospital after being shot multiple times the night of the shooting. Spelmon Allen, 19, was transported to the Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis last week and is still in critical condition, according to Muncie Police.

While Harnett's private defense counsel Robert Summerfield requested that the court set the bail amount at $10,000, the Court established bail in the amount of $50,000 cash, surety, or 10 percent cash in defendant's name only through the Delaware County clerk.

Summerfield also noted his motion to have his client immediately released that was previously denied and the judge directed him to file any additional arguments under the criminal cause number.

The jury trial in this case has been set for Nov. 18.