Crew Carwash raises more than $2,000 for MCS in donations

<p>Spinner, the mascot of Crew Carwash, and a volunteer from Muncie Community Schools (MCS) wave at passing vehicles April 6 by the side of McGalliard Road. Crew Carwash is hosting a fundraiser this weekend for MCS at the car wash's McGalliard Road location. <strong>Rohith Rao, DN</strong></p>

Spinner, the mascot of Crew Carwash, and a volunteer from Muncie Community Schools (MCS) wave at passing vehicles April 6 by the side of McGalliard Road. Crew Carwash is hosting a fundraiser this weekend for MCS at the car wash's McGalliard Road location. Rohith Rao, DN

Editor's Note: This story is part of The Partnership Project, a series of content written in an effort by The Daily News to follow the formal collaboration of Ball State University and Muncie Community Schools. 

With a constant flow of cars rolling in to be washed and passing vehicles honking at Spinner, the company mascot, waving at the traffic by the side of the road, the weekend from April 5-7 was a busy one for the team at Crew Carwash.

To mark their one-year anniversary since opening a branch in Muncie, the car wash decided to partner with Muncie Community Schools (MCS) to organize a fundraiser for the schools, said Sally Grant, executive vice president of the company.

In exchange for a half-off wash this weekend at the company’s McGalliard location, customers will be encouraged to contribute cash or credit donations at the car wash, all of which will support the schools, a press release from MCS states.

Katherine Rayner, marketing project coordinator at Crew Carwash, said in an email it raised a total of $2,094.72 over the weekend.

“Part of our mission is to always give back to the communities that we serve,” Grant said. “We always like to pick organizations that have a direct tie in to giving back to kids and helping them be as successful in life as they can.”

The Indiana-based car wash has yearly partnerships with Big Brothers Big Sisters and organized fundraisers for organizations like Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital, she said.

Grant said the car wash previously partnered with Muncie Animal Rescue Fund as part of their “grand-opening fundraiser” in Muncie raising about $10,000 during that weekend.

A pick up truck is parked April 6 at Crew Carwash's McGalliard location. Crew Carwash is offering half-off all car washes this weekend at the Muncie location and encouraging customers to donate to Muncie Community Schools as part of a fundraiser to mark the company's one-year anniversary in city. Rohith Rao, DN

“Muncie Community School Corporation is so grateful for community partners such as Crew Carwash,” said Jim Williams, MCS board president in the press release. “Generous support from corporate partners like Crew helps us provide education, programs and assistance to the children of the Muncie Community.”

Mona Goggins, freshman psychology and applied behavioral analysis dual major and team leader at the car wash’s McGalliard Road location, said the fundraiser and the company’s own education-related programs for its employees makes her feel the company values education and the community.

“We love to see how the community cares about other people,” Goggins said. “We love to see the smiling faces that come in, and just to see how busy we are and how many people we interact with.”

Allison Polk, a senior in Muncie Central High School (MCHS), Ball State admitted student and member of Key Club — a volunteer organization at MCHS, said the event shows how MCS is “part of this huge community.”

“It's a great event — just bringing the whole community together,” Polk said. “I think having our name out in the community is also really important.”

Grant, a third-generation member of the Dahm family which founded the company in 1948, said she wants fundraisers like these to continue through future generations of the family.

“I think that the way successful family businesses do that is you're not just thinking about the corporate side, but you're also thinking about ways that you can give back to the community,” she said. “That's really important to us as a business and as a family.”

Contact Rohith Rao with comments at rprao@bsu.edu or on Twitter @RaoReports.