Ball State School of Art kicks off 2019 Art Month

<p>Seul Yi in front of her work titled "Passage of Time." Her work is modeled after traditional Korean outfit tassels. The length of each resembles the passing of time. <strong>Chase Martin, DN</strong></p>

Seul Yi in front of her work titled "Passage of Time." Her work is modeled after traditional Korean outfit tassels. The length of each resembles the passing of time. Chase Martin, DN

Students from Ball State’s master’s of fine arts (MFA) program showcased their creative works as the School of Art began their celebration of Art Month this April.

The first Thursday of the month was dedicated to bringing together the public and displaying the work of the students. 

The Atrium Gallery hosted the MFA First and Second Year Closing Reception April 4 — the unofficial beginning to the celebrations. Food and passionate words were shared as the second year MFAs presented their artwork to the public.

Jennifer Hathaway poses next to her work titled “I’m Here." A number of her works are on display with a total of 20 weeks of work put in all together. Chase Martin, DN

“The students pick what goes into the show,” said Arne Flaten, School of Art director. “It’s more than impressive.”

Events will also be held throughout Muncie area to commemorate the centennial celebration of Art Month.

“We will be finishing our celebration of a hundred years, and looking forward to our next 100 years,” Flaten said.

Dakota Blose poses in front of three storyboards from a thesis film she is working on. Each character represents diversity, something she said isn’t talked about enough in the animation industry. Chase Martin, DN

Flaten has been the director for the last four years and has helped to make this year’s Art Month full of different experiences. 

Art Month serves as a month where the School of Art can showcase the “prestigious work,” that the school produces, Flaten said.

“This is our month to bring attention and notoriety to all the cool stuff going on,” Flaten said. 

Arne Flaten, School of Art director, observes some of his student’s works alongside another onlooker. Flaten said the Art Month is organized to bring "attention and notoriety" to the work going on in the School of Art. Chase Martin, DN

School of Art alumni have recently been a part of the creative endeavors behind sports-related designs. 

Flaten spoke about Connor O’Malia, 2013 Ball State graduate, who is the designer behind the 2019 NCAA men’s basketball Final Four.

The director also mentioned another alumna — Sydney Noland, 2017 Ball State graduate, who now works for the Seattle Seahawks as a digital media designer following her work designing cleats for Seahawks quarterback, Russell Wilson.

“Our students are getting good jobs, we just want everybody else to know about it,” Flaten said.

Upcoming events in April for Art Month as mentioned in a campus-wide email from the School of Art:

• April 11: 
    • Bachelors of Fine Arts I Opening Reception 4 - 6 p.m. at the Atrium Gallery
    • Presentation by founder and director of Light Industry, Ed Halter 5 - 6 p.m. at Art and Journalism building room 225
  • April 18:
    • Bachelors of Fine Arts II Opening Reception 4 - 6 p.m. at the Atrium Gallery
    • Conservation Tales with Barg Giorgio and Tom McConnell 7:30 - 9 p.m. at Bracken Library room 104
  • April 19:
    • Senior Awards Night 5 - 7 p.m. at David Owsley Museum of Art
    • Night of Neon 7 - 10 p.m. at Glick Center for Glass
  • April 25:
    • Bachelors of Fine Arts III Opening Reception 4 -6 p.m. at the Atrium Gallery
    • Animation Story Night 6 - 7 p.m. at Art and Journalism building room 225

Contact Chase Martin with comments at cgmartin@bsu.edu.