Ball State alumna, Apple's senior VP of Retail to step down

<p>Angela Ahrendts participates as a panelist at the Fortune Global Forum June 2013 in Chengdu, China. Ahrendts, who joined Apple as senior vice president of Retail in 2014, will be departing the company April 2019 for new personal and professional reasons. <strong>Stefen Chow/Fortune Global Forum, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Angela Ahrendts participates as a panelist at the Fortune Global Forum June 2013 in Chengdu, China. Ahrendts, who joined Apple as senior vice president of Retail in 2014, will be departing the company April 2019 for new personal and professional reasons. Stefen Chow/Fortune Global Forum, Photo Courtesy

Angela Ahrendts, Apple’s current vice president of Retail, plans to depart in April, the company said Tuesday in a press release

Ahrendts is a 1981 Ball State merchandising and marketing graduate, according to previous Daily News reports. She will be leaving Apple after five years at the company

“I want to thank Angela for inspiring and energizing our teams over the past five years,” said Tim Cook, Apple CEO, in the press release. “She has been a positive, transformative force, both for Apple’s stores and the communities they serve. We all wish her the very best as she begins a new chapter.”

Ahrendts will be departing the company for new personal and professional pursuits, the press release states.

“The last five years have been the most stimulating, challenging and fulfilling of my career,” Ahrendts said in the press release. “Through the teams’ collective efforts, Retail has never been stronger or better positioned to make an even greater contribution for Apple.”

The New Palestine, Indiana native previously served as CEO of Burberry, president of Donna Karan International and executive vice president of Liz Claiborne, Inc., according to Daily News reports.

Deidre O’Brien, who has three decades of experience working for the company, will be taking on new responsibilities for Apple’s retail and online stores in an expanded role as senior vice president of Retail + People, the press release states.

“I feel there is no better time to pass the baton to Deirdre, one of Apple’s strongest executives,” Ahrendts said in the press release. “I look forward to watching how this amazing team, under her leadership, will continue to change the world one person and one community at a time.”