New facility at BorgWarner plant site could create 90 jobs

<p>Nigel Morrison, president of Pizo Technologies and Heritage Environmental, explains why he chose Indiana as the site of the fourth Waelz plant in January 2019. Then plant was scheduled to open in Muncie at the former BorgWarner plant in 2020. <strong>Annie Keister, Photo Provided</strong></p>

Nigel Morrison, president of Pizo Technologies and Heritage Environmental, explains why he chose Indiana as the site of the fourth Waelz plant in January 2019. Then plant was scheduled to open in Muncie at the former BorgWarner plant in 2020. Annie Keister, Photo Provided

Two companies will be establishing themselves at the former BorgWarner site in Muncie.

Waelz Sustainable Products LLP (WSP) will build a kiln facility that will create zinc oxide and iron concentrate from steel byproducts. The facility is a joint venture between Heritage Environmental and Zinc Nacional. 

WSP plans to invest $75 million to construct the 30 acre facility. The project has been divided into two phases. Phase One will bring a $50 million investment and 60-90 direct jobs, while Phase Two will give Muncie a $25 million investment and 30 or more employees. 

WSP said at full capacity, the 24/7 facility will be able to process 100,000 tons of material each year.

“We are elated that the company has chosen Muncie in this highly-competitive environment in which communities around the world are vying for this type of new capital investment and job creation,” said Jay Julian, president and chief economic development officer of the Muncie-Delaware County Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Alliance, in a press release. “We pledge our continued support and assistance to help the Muncie facility prosper, as we recognize that their success is also our success.”

Muncie’s plant will be Zinc Nacional’s second plant in the United States. The company’s other three plants are in Alabama, Turkey and South Korea. 

WSP plans to break ground early this year and have the plant open early 2020. Nigel Morrison, president of Pizo Technologies and Heritage Environmental, said one of the reasons they chose Muncie was because of the access to schools like Ball State and Ivy Tech.

“Even [as] significant as those jobs is the opportunity to transform a vacant hundred acres that at one time was vibrant with jobs and economic opportunities and living wages, what they’re bringing with these new jobs is going to offer the same opportunities,” said Muncie Mayor Dennis Tyler.

Chris Cotterill, Executive Vice President and COO of the Indiana Economic Development Corporation, said up to $5 million in state tax credits will be offered to WSP, with additional support from the City of Muncie and the City of Muncie Redevelopment Corporation.

Contact Michelle Kaufman with comments mekaufman@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @mkaufman85.