Ball State celebrates 2019 Unity Week with events, speeches

<p>Ball State students and Muncie community members march on McKinley Avenue for the Unity March, Jan. 16, 2017. This year's Unity March was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but Ball State will still welcome guest speakers via Zoom and host events for Unity Week. <strong>Kyle Crawford, DN File</strong></p>

Ball State students and Muncie community members march on McKinley Avenue for the Unity March, Jan. 16, 2017. This year's Unity March was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but Ball State will still welcome guest speakers via Zoom and host events for Unity Week. Kyle Crawford, DN File

Unity Week, a Ball State annual tradition since 1980, returns this week with a series of events honoring the life and contributions of Martin Luther King Jr. and celebrating diversity in the Ball State community.

Planned by student organization leaders and Ball State staff, Unity Week aims to challenge perspectives on matters of diversity, inclusivity and solidarity in an evolving social climate through enlightening social, cultural and educational events, the event’s website states

All events are free and open to students, faculty, staff and community members

Schedule of events:

Monday:

MLK Community Breakfast

The 39th Unity Week at Ball State kicked off 9 a.m. in the Cardinal Hall at the Student Center with the annual community breakfast. President Geoffrey Mearns was the keynote speaker at the event. A livestream of the event was made available to those unable to attend the event.

The Unity March scheduled for 11 a.m. was cancelled due to the wind chill advisory in effect until noon, Monday, according to a campus-wide email from Ball State sent 6:38 p.m., Sunday.

Tuesday:

MLK Speaker Series: Michael Eric Dyson

Michael Eric Dyson will speak 7:30 p.m. at Pruis Hall in his presentation titled “Dr. King for the 21st Century.” Dyson is a sociology professor at Georgetown University, contributing opinion writer for The New York Times and contributing editor of The New Republic, and ESPN's The Undefeated, according to his website.

Wednesday:

Queer Monologues

Spectrum will present a theatrical performance of coming out stories 8 p.m. at Pruis Hall. The performance will address humorous, challenging, heartbreaking and real experiences faced by the queer community.

Thursday:

Tunnel of Oppression

This guided tour will include interactive booths designed to help individuals observe a simulation of oppression faced by people with historically marginalized identities. The event is 6 p.m. at the Student Center ballroom.

Friday:

Latinxpalooza

Latinx Student Union will host their annual non-competitive talent showcase 6 p.m. at Schmidt/Wilson Hall. The showcase will include singing, dancing and a variety of talents.

Friday Night Film Works

University Program Board’s Friday Night Filmworks will present Spike Lee’s 2018 movie “BlacKkKlansman” 9 p.m. at Pruis Hall. The film is based on actual events of Ron Stallworth, an African-American detective from Colorado Springs, Colorado on a mission to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan, the movie’s IMDb page states.

Saturday:

Beneficence Leadership Conference

The conference will include keynote speeches by Blake Fly, a college motivational speaker, and Dorica Watson, manager of community engagement at Second Harvest Food Bank and leader of the Circles Initiative. This event will take place 9 a.m. at Pruis Hall.

March on Late Nite

This week’s Late Nite, beginning 9 p.m. at the L.A. Pittenger Student Center, will include activities like tie dye, a meltdown inflatable, canvas painting, henna, a silent disco, a civic historic escape, wheelchair obstacle course and a meal packing service event to make meals for those in need. Free pizza and a free ice cream bar will also be available.

Sunday:

Unity Pageant
The Unity Scholarship Pageant started in 1968 will return 7 p.m. at the Pruis Hall. The student-run event, presented by the Black Student Association, will crown the Mr/Miss/Mx Unity.