Ball State SGA votes against senator GPA standard change

<p>Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) voted against a resolution to lower the minimum GPA requirements for senators, Tuesday. The resolution lost the vote 16-21. <strong>Charles Melton, DN</strong></p>

Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) voted against a resolution to lower the minimum GPA requirements for senators, Tuesday. The resolution lost the vote 16-21. Charles Melton, DN

Student Government Association (SGA) voted down a resolution that would change the GPA standards for senators Tuesday. 

The minimum GPA requirements for senators would be dropped from the current 2.5 to 2.1.

The resolution states, “The Ball State Student Government Association (SGA) is a body that represents the overall student body, as a whole. If the minimum GPA for senators is higher than 2.1, the senate will not accurately represent the student body.”

The GPA standard for Ball State students is a 2.0, below which, students are placed under academic probation, according to the university’s website.

A student with less than 30 earned credits is required to earn a term GPA of 2.0 for the probation term and a student with more credits is required to earned a term GPA of 2.1, until the cumulative GPA reaches 2.0 or above, the website states.

Failure to to meet these requirements by the end of the semester can result in expulsion.

The resolution states that because SGA is not a purely academic association and GPA does not relate to performance in the senate, the GPA should be lowered to include more students.

The resolution lost the vote 16-21.

SGA senator and co-author of the resolution Sarah Arnold said she would’ve liked to think that the resolution could’ve brought in more students.

“It was really sad to see that go down, because we all worked really hard on it,” Arnold said. “I and my other co-authors were really passionate about it.” 

Contact Charles Melton with comments at cwmelton@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Cmelton144.