Charles W. Brown Planetarium announces free shows for spring semester

<p>This spring, the Charles W. Brown Planetarium is offering a variety of free shows that are open to the public. <strong>Samantha Brammer, DN File</strong></p>

This spring, the Charles W. Brown Planetarium is offering a variety of free shows that are open to the public. Samantha Brammer, DN File

From February to April, the Charles W. Brown Planetarium is offering five free shows for the Ball State and Muncie community to travel the galaxy from their seats in Indiana’s largest planetarium. 

While tickets are not needed to attend the shows, the planetarium’s doors open 30 minutes before each show, and seats are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Children who are 17-years-old and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Electronics that emit light, such as cellphones, must be turned off before each show starts so that these electronics do not affect others from viewing the show. 

Here are the variety of shows occuring this semester: 

Sky Skills

6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Feb. 1, 8

This show will allow viewers to learn how the sky changes as seasons pass by. During the show, the planetarium staff will teach viewers how to use sky charts to do so. Viewers will also be able to experience the northern lights in the 52-foot planetarium dome. 

To Space & Back

6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. Feb. 15, 22 and March 1 

With this show, the planetarium staff will teach viewers how technology has impacted space exploration. By taking a journey throughout the universe back to Earth, viewers will learn how the technology used for space traveled has influenced the technological devices we use every day. 

From Earth to the Universe

6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. March 8, 15

Venturing outside the Milky Way, viewers will not only learn about the history of astronomy but will also understand how telescopes allow astronomers to discover more about the galaxies in our universe. With this show, viewers can see the birthplaces and burial grounds of stars in our Solar System as well. 

Strange Alien Worlds

6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. April 5, 12 

Planetarium director Ronald Kaitchuck will take viewers on a journey to discover thousands of planets. Kaitchuck will explain to viewers how planets are discovered and how astronomers search for life on these newly discovered planets.

Black Holes, Wormholes & the Movies

6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. April 19, 26

During this show, the planetarium staff will explore the role of black holes in popular movies. By the end, viewers will be able to understand if depictions of black holes on the big screen are factual or if black holes acting as wormholes only exists in Hollywood films.