Homeless man arrested outside Elliott Hall for syringe possession

<p>James Jason Buck was arrested outside Elliott Hall Tuesday night on charges that include possession of syringes with traces of heroin and falsely informing a police officer. Buck was arrested and transported to the Delaware County Jail, where he is being held on a $10,000 bail. <strong>Delaware County Jail, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

James Jason Buck was arrested outside Elliott Hall Tuesday night on charges that include possession of syringes with traces of heroin and falsely informing a police officer. Buck was arrested and transported to the Delaware County Jail, where he is being held on a $10,000 bail. Delaware County Jail, Photo Courtesy

Ball State University Police (UPD) arrested a man for the possession of syringes containing traces of heroin Tuesday night outside Elliott Hall. 

James Jason Buck, 34, was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of syringes, falsely informing a police officer and refusing to identify himself. 

UPD Cpl. Travis Stephens was dispatched to the scene at 10:53 p.m. on a call of a suspicious man sleeping outside the north side of Elliott Hall. 

On arrival, he found Buck covered in a duffle bag lying on the ground. When Stephens asked Buck what he was doing, Buck said he was homeless, the report said.

Stephens, on observing a black foldable pocket knife in Buck’s right front pocket, advised Buck that he would do a pat down to determine if there were any more weapons. When Stephens asked Buck if there was anything on him that was going to poke, stick or cut him, Buck said no.

When Stephens checked along Buck’s right leg, a syringe fell to the ground from his pant leg. Officers would later locate five more syringes that contained content that tested positive for heroin.

When asked for his name, Buck said his name was Jason Brock Jenkins and that his Florida license was suspended. Officers could not locate a driver’s license, identification or verified information for that name out of Indiana or Florida.

Police later confirmed his identity via a driver’s license photo and jail tattoo records.

Buck was arrested and transported to Delaware County Jail, where he is being held on a $10,000 bail. 

Contact Rohith Rao with comments at rprao@bsu.edu or on Twitter @RaoReports.